16 Year Old RHP

He’s a Junior, sixteen 6’2" 210, throwing a light bullpen after long toss. He works up to about 90% effort at the end, all fastballs in low 80’s after the half way point.

What do you think?

Generally the mechanics look very good. There a couple things I noticed which should help him out. He doesn’t appear to be pushing off nearly as hard as he should. This should also then increase his stride length which looks like it could be longer. Finally he needs to finish with a flat back.

You aren’t getting much hip/torso separation. This may be because you aren’t building much momentum to the plate. If you can lead with your hips better, you can generate more momentum, lengthen your stride, and allow your hips to rotate through faster giving you more separation between your torso and hips.
My way of thinking is different than Nick Nickason. I believe thinking to push off the rubber can cause some mechanical flaws such as opening too early. Also, a flatter back should come naturally by utilizing your momentum properly.

[quote=“BenFA”]You aren’t getting much hip/torso separation. This may be because you aren’t building much momentum to the plate. If you can lead with your hips better, you can generate more momentum, lengthen your stride, and allow your hips to rotate through faster giving you more separation between your torso and hips.
My way of thinking is different than Nick Nickason. I believe thinking to push off the rubber can cause some mechanical flaws such as opening too early. Also, a flatter back should come naturally by utilizing your momentum properly.[/quote]

Good, he’s working on creating better separation and more drive to the plate, which should give him a longer stride and help him finish better. He never looks like he’s trying to throw hard, but his fb velocity sits in the mid 80’s. I think he has a lot of room for pushing up his velocity by improving these things. He’s very strong in his legs and core, and I’d like to see him use some of this strength better.

Thanks