16 year old RHP

Please post some thoughts :smiley:

wrong link?

Sorry…try the new one I put up

Redblue20
Many good things here. A few things I’d suggest working on. First, get the side of the front hip moving toward the target more aggressively without opening up the hips or the left foot so early. Secondly, and most importantly, I think you need some good old glove side management. The swinging of the straight left arm, although not always a problem (see Randy Johnson, for example), may be one for you at the moment. Your shoulders are opened before front foot landing, which is your main issue that I see. The glove side swing may be contributing to that and staying closed with the lower body longer may help battle it.

So, you need to fix the open shoulders at landing. Fixes might include better glove side management (Roger can help you there) and staying closed longer in the lower body by moving the left hip sideways at the target longer.

Regardless, you have some nice things happening. Good job.

Thanks for the great feedback. I really like the idea of keeping the left hip in longer. I think I would get more leg power and possibly more momentum. I will certainly try to incorporate that.

Velocity?

Haven’t been clocked since last summer but my max then was 86

so when you were 15 years old you threw 86mph lol all bet

Who radared you. Was it legit scouts and how many were there

did they have 3 radar guns going at the same time

What was your average?

No I was still 16. I will be turning 17 at the end of may and I’m a junior in high school right now. And yes it was legit, i was clocked 85 at a perfect game showcase and 86 a week later at a different one. And it’s a max. I probably hit it only 3 or 4 times in the game. I know for a fact my range was 82-84. But let’s try to keep this discussion about mechanics please. After all, that’s what this post was created for.

Overall, you appear to have good arm speed and good velocity for your age. But, at the same time, you appear to me to be mostly arm - you don’t look like you fully utilize your lower half. Here are some specific comments:

(1) You are positioned too far to the throwing hand side of the rubber. If you were on dirt and could see the drag line your back foot created in the dirt, you’d see that it ended to the throwing hand side of the centerline of the rubber. This indicates that it will be more difficult for you to square your shoulders to the plate at release without also shifting your posture (i.e. tilting to the glove side). Simply move to the glove side such that your drag line ends on the centerline of the rubber. (On a fake mound, you’ll have to have someone eyeball where your drag line would be.)

(2) From the stretch, your feet are positioned too far apart when you come set. This causes you to have to shift your weight back towards 2B when you go into knee lift. That makes you slower to the plate. It also makes you have to stop and change directions before moving forward. And it gives runners a jump start since they can take off as son as they see the weight shift start.

(3) Your stride appears a bit short indicating a lack of momentum or early shoulder rotation - or both. I think it is both. While you don’t appear to have a big posture issue, you could have a small one due to (1) above and that can pull the shoulders open early. I think you could get your hips moving forward sooner and faster to create more momentum. I also think you could control (i.e. stabilize) the glove better and more consistently to allow the shoulders to stay closed longer. Of course, if you get the hips moving forward sooner/faster, that shortens the amount of time during which you need to stabilize the glove. Try to make sure to get your arms to an equal and opposite position which means extending the glove arm out front as much as you extend the throwing arm back (i.e. equal bends at the elbows). If you have to make an adjustment, make it to the glove arm - not your throwing arm. From the equal and opposite position, as the shoulders start to rotate simply drop the elbow and turn the glove over but keep it out front while the body moves towards it. Be aware that dropping the glove, pulling the glove, flying open with the glove, or just random movement can affect the front shoulder resulting in posture shifts or early shoulder rotation which, of course, you don’t want.

(4) You don’t get all the way out over the front foot and your release point is about even with your front foot instead of 6"-12" in front of your front foot. This is most likely caused by (3) above but may also be contributed to by (1) above.

If you decide to make any of the above changes, do them in the order I described. (1) and (2) are really freebies because you don’t have to change anything about how you throw. (3) will push you outside of your comfort zone so you’ll have to stick with it long enough to get comfortable again. Until you’re back in your comfort zone, velocity and control may drop off.

SEAN STEPHENSON - RHP
has very good overall proper pitching mechanics

although he can pitch around 95+, maybe just to increase the stride more a little to reach 95-100 % of his height

if im a MLB team i want his kid straight away in minor league!!!

overall i will say

Connor Oliver and Vince Apicella have the best pitching mechanics among others

Sean Stephenson is also very good, but just that stride distance may not be as good as the previous 2 pitchers mentioned before

Connor Oliver and Vince Apicella have achieve at leat 90 % of height for stride distance

i dont think Sean has achieve it

Stride distance perfect range is more than 100 %
if you are belong to the range of 95-100% is very good already