16 year old Pitching Mechanics

My name is David Meade and I’m a sophmore at Antioch Community High School in Antioch, Illinois. I was pulled up to pitch on Varsity this year. My fastball is clocked in the upper 70’s and the hardest I’ve thrown is 82 mph. I’m asking for some tips on my mechanics that would help me throw harder or just anything I should smooth out. Anything would help.

I know I’m going to catch Hail Columbia for this, because I have talked about it so often, but there are some people who don’t know about what I call “The Secret”. You may be one of those, and so I will put it as succinctly as possible. What it is—I learned about it a long time ago from watching how the Yankees’ legendary Big Three rotation did it—is, you want to work on getting your whole body into the action. You want to drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion so the energy just flows through the body to the shoulder and the arm, and when you do this not only do you generate more power behind your pitches but also you take a lot of pressure off said arm and shoulder so you wind up throwing harder and faster with less effort. There are several drills and exercises to work on, which can be found on this website, and one of the best—a good place to start—is the “Hershiser” drill which aims at getting the hips fully involved.
When I observed this I realized that this involvement of the whole body is the real key to a pitcher’s power. You can’t go wrong with that. 8)

Well Zita eventually it won’t be a secret anymore…you will have fulfilled your duty in life. You know that every time you write it, someone that hasn’t read it before gets educated!

High-fives and a big hug to you, buwhite. You have just confirmed something I have suspected for many years, and that is that a large part of what I have learned as a pitcher is to pass along what I know that can help others. I will never forget that in one my last “curbstone consultations” with Ed Lopat, shortly before he was traded from the Yankees to the Orioles, I mentioned that one of my moundmates was working on a new pitch and having some difficulties with it and that I thought I could help. Lopat said, “I know you can.” Now, so many decades later, I am doing just that. I am well aware that many of the posters on this website are youngsters and that my own frame of reference is major league, but a lot of the stuff I know applies at all levels.
And it’s a most satisfying feeling. What I learned from Lopat—one of the greatest strategic pitchers in the history of the game—was, and is, nothing short of priceless, and I am very glad that I can help in one way or another. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

I would like to see your video in real time speed to check out your tempo and speed to the plate - a view from the other side would be more helpful as well.

From this video I can tell you that you are getting your arm up into the high cocked position too early - it hangs up there waiting for your body to catch up and then you throw… big velocity killer. All the individual parts of your mechanics look good, however, just the sequencing needs tweaking. And yes, you could use that back leg better to drive - get it to full extension before you turn the front foot into landing.

when your front foot lands your hand is upright in the throwing position. instead when that front foot lands you want your hand to be down by your leg.

sorry if that didn’t make sense haha. but it will make you throw much harder with less effort