15 yr old Mechanics that need critique

Im a 6’3 200Ib RHP toping out at 77 averaging 72-75MPH these are my most recent mechanics I was wondering how they look and any changes I could make to increase my velo.

J-wiggy36,

“Im a 6’3 200Ib RHP toping out at 77 averaging 72-75MPH”

None of this info matters. What is your biological age? Not your chronological age.

“these are my most recent mechanics”

Traditional splits drive mechanics, not bad with some flaws that can go either way depending on who you are talking to.

With this force application (pathomechancal) you could last a while or end up in an operating room, either way the bone deformation seen in ALL traditionally oriented pitchers will occur automatically to where you will see loss of Elbow range of motion in both directions, good luck if you pursue this approach!

“I was wondering how they look and any changes I could make to increase my velo.”

The best Velo advice I can give you is put away the radar gun, you are a youth pitcher and gains happen with no help at all and the same advice I give to newly arriving previously injured throwers and pitchers about their current mechanics.

Second, You “over early rotate” your body during leg lift. This has to be straightened back out (Shoulder line) before you can then go forwards. This is also the cause of “laxity” around the shoulder that later leads to “dead arm” and other nasties.

Third, you are landing your glove foot, toes first instead of the way the ankle and foot are designed to perform this gait function, by landing with a shorter stride and striking your heel first, the Ball of foot then toes by rolling across the sole of the shoe. Watch yours closely, you can actually see your involuntary want to do it correctly, disturbed by your voluntary signal to do the opposite.

Forth. Your Humerus and Forearm are way late in outwards rotation to full length at the back synced to glove side foot plant. This has you “reverse forearm bounce back” your forearm causing “over Valgus stress” on your MCL (UCL) Elbow ligament and has you intuitively Forearm supinate your ball drives causing “ballistic hyper extension” where the Elbow is locked out instead of swiveling back to release the lock. Many types of injuries manifest from this.

Mitigation’s;

1. leave your heel on the rubber so you ball side leg stays in a slightly forwards position and preventing some of the “over early rotation”. Do not push off! Stride short and land on the glove side of the field driveline (imaginary ground line running from second to home ) heel to toe, stay tall, recover tall rotating 175 degrees ending in a drop step position.

2. Pendulum swing your arms down then back then up to driveline height (height of the ball when driven) above the field driveline by forearm pronating and outwardly rotating your glove Humerus that has your thumb inwardly down and simultaneously Forearm supinate ball thumb up straight back with some bend in that Elbow. When you activate forwards force immediately raise your ball side Elbow and powerfully forearm pronate all your pitch types! ALL of them.

Good luck, any questions just ask.

first off thank you for taking the time to go over my mechanics I greatly preciate it!!!
but I do have a few questions and answers.

my chronological age is 15 yr old but I dont know my biological age at the moment ill try to find that out.

what is over early rotation? what is my shoulder line and how do I straighten it out?

I think that the reason why I landed like this is because of the mini mound im throwing off of. thank you for pointing that out I did even notice it.

is this where my forearm is ending up far behind my trunk and its almost at a 90 angle backwards?

what am I rotating 175 degrees? and what is the drop step position?

I was wondering if you could greater explain Mitigations #2

I apologize for all of the questions, im just recently starting to understand baseball more and this helps alot.

J-Wiggy36,

my chronological age is 15 yr old but I dont know my biological age at the moment ill try to find that out.

This will determine when your Elbow growth plates fuse together, signaling their readiness to be able to withstand greater stresses when training and competing. In equated maturers this happens at ch.16 yo. There is as much as 5 years difference between some advanced maturers and delayed maturers. The best determining factor is coarseness and maturity of body hair like leg hair or arm pits. If you are just starting to shave at 15 ch. yo, you are delayed some, if not you could be delayed longer and best to wait before aggressive training.

“what is over early rotation? what is my shoulder line and how do I straighten it out?”

It is where you counter rotate your shoulders (acromial line) and Pelvis (acetabular line) past the field driveline. This is a gateway pathomechanic that later leads you into a bad position to start forwards force production. Watch early video of Grienke who performs this best.

“I think that the reason why I landed like this is because of the mini mound im throwing off of. thank you for pointing that out I did even notice it.”

Correcting this to a natural foot land will greatly add to your ability to generate force thru full body rotation.

“reverse forearm bounce back”“is this where my forearm is ending up far behind my trunk and its almost at a 90 angle backwards?”

This (vertical forearm bounce back) is what degrades the UCL with every rep. better to all ready have your Elbow pointing towards the target from as far back as you can perform it. By immediately elevating your Elbow up the bounce back is much shorter and from a horizontal position (Horizontal forearm bounce back) that allows SSC (stretch shortening cycle) but does not degrade the UCL if you also throw all forearm pronated pitch types where there is no stress on the UCL.

“what am I rotating 175 degrees? and what is the drop step position?”

Your full body ,Pelvis and shoulders. When you stay taller all the way thru the delivery until you recover into a standing position with your ball side leg in front of your body towards home plate. Most people believe the squared up position is best, it is not but is second best. Look at fencers how the stand to defend along with all other responder athletic positions.

“I was wondering if you could greater explain Mitigations #2

This mechanic is very important to get right, it times the synchronization with your base stability so you can then safely apply ballistic force at the correct time.

When you break your ball and glove apart from each other, drop them down first by pendulum swinging your arms down then back then up to driveline height at the back and front. Have your glove directed straight to the target with your eyes just above the glove on the target thumb down forearm pronated. At the same time end your pendulum swing with your ball arm, forearm supinated, actually equal and opposite. By having your ball arm ready to throw at this transitions arrival. Throw from length by having the Humerus all ready there, outwardly rotated.

“I apologize for all of the questions”

The more questions the better the understanding. keep it that way.

“ im just recently starting to understand baseball more and this helps

You will not learn much about physiological facts by listening to pitching coaches with their yard terms that make no sense when you are trying to learn and apply scientific kinesiological principles.

At this time I ask all my 14 yo clients to buy 6 lb leather wrist weights and a 4 lb plyo ball

(dead blow ball) and apply Dr. Mike Marshall’s 60 day interval training program. It’s free at his site.

With you going on to 16 will need 10 lb. wrist weights (holds) and a 6 lb tape covered lead ball (releases) to train with until you are 19 byo. then that goes up.

Good luck,

Looks like you could get more hip to shoulder separation and possible holding more torsion in you back leg/knee (knee pointing towards 3rd base as long as possible). I would concentrate on hip to shoulder separation 1st. There are many ways to work on this but we typically use medballs because you can do far more reps on a regular bases. Here are some examples

I see this a lot in these types of videos. Your drive leg is just following your lead leg, instead of driving off the moud