15 yr old lefty pitching analysis

High School freshman – 5’7" 150 lbs.

Any helpful feedback to further pitching development is appreciated. Thank you![/youtube]

Look into the concept of intent.
Your mechs look workable, the lower half needs to be the vehicle in which you develop velocity (One of our posters Zita Carno calls it “the secret”).

Eat well, you need to condition and get stronger but the basics for developing are there, keep working, looking at your mechanics and results.

Grades mean everything so incorporate that into your program and keep them there.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Look into the concept of intent.
Your mechs look workable, the lower half needs to be the vehicle in which you develop velocity (One of our posters Zita Carno calls it “the secret”).

Eat well, you need to condition and get stronger but the basics for developing are there, keep working, looking at your mechanics and results.

Grades mean everything so incorporate that into your program and keep them there.[/quote]

Thank you very much “JDfromFLa” . . . I posted this video on my son’s behalf. We will definitely read up on “The Secret” and incorporate. He has been participating in a daily weight lifting/cardio program with the High School since the beginning of the school year. He also does very well in the classroom and maintains a 3.8 GPA which includes three Pre-AP classes. He is very coachable and picks up on things very quick. Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux are his favorite pitchers, too! Thanks again!

Your mechanics look good to me. I especially like the way you lead with your hips. Let us know how your freshman season works out, and if you get access to camera equipment that can slow the delivery down, posting that would be helpful to all of us watching. Everything jdfromfla said is spot on.
Oh, since you are a lefty, watching the special K twins (Kershaw and Koufax)
could be inspiring!

[quote=“Homer”]Your mechanics look good to me. I especially like the way you lead with your hips. Let us know how your freshman season works out, and if you get access to camera equipment that can slow the delivery down, posting that would be helpful to all of us watching. Everything jdfromfla said is spot on.
Oh, since you are a lefty, watching the special K twins (Kershaw and Koufax)
could be inspiring![/quote]

Thank you “JDfromFLA” — its almost the end of his freshman season. He made the Junior Varsity Team and has been the most consistent of the pitching staff this season . . . he leads with innings pitched and starts every Friday night: Here are his stats: IP 35.1; ERA 3.57; 17 Ks; 19 BB; 178 BF; 39 R; 18 ER . . . since he’s a freshman competing against sophomores & juniors, he’s not overpowering, but has command of his three pitches (fb, change & curve) that come out at same slot — he hits his spots and keeps batters guessing. He continues to workout in his athletic period combining weight training, running/sprinting and plyometric exercises. He continues to grow and gain strength (5’8" at 150 lbs). The coaches are very pleased with his season thus far and are excited what the future holds for him. He also is maintaining a 4.0 GPA that includes 3 Pre-AP classes :slight_smile: Proud Papa here!

Spend your time enjoying this ride.
:wink:

Here is a video taken in July 2014 — after the spring season, the bullpen mounds and pitching rubbers were horrible. Helpful tips, advice and comments are appreciated. Thank you.