15 year old with head tilt problem

I am aware I have a head tilt problem just on ball release. I would like to be more vertical on delivery as my understanding is if my momentum is towards the batter I’ll achieve more velocity and better balance will improve location.

Are there precise drills for this problem.

Or is it a problem I should be concerned with.

Here’s a video from about 12 months ago

and here is a recent video of me practicing in the backyard.

Any advice will e gratefully received.

James

It’s really, really hard to tell much from these videos but I don’t see a head tilt problem. The NPA guys on board may disagree with me on that one because House seems to promote a more straight up and down delivery. Correct me if I’m wrong there Roger et. al.

The one thing I will mention is about the timing of your arm action. You have a distinct pause at the top. Now, this type of video makes it almost impossible to see the details, so I’m not sure if this is because your hand just gets to the top too early or if you just need to speed up everything else.

The hand should not stop, anywhere, after it breaks from the glove. If there is a pause, any momentum built up before that is lost and it all has to start all over again.

I don’t see any significant problems, aside from the problem that you leave your PAS foot behind on the rubber, which will stop your hips prematurely and cost you a few MPH.

Your head tilts because you throw from a higher arm slot. This isn’t a problem.

It’s not a problem.

[quote=“dm59”]The one thing I will mention is about the timing of your arm action. You have a distinct pause at the top. Now, this type of video makes it almost impossible to see the details, so I’m not sure if this is because your hand just gets to the top too early or if you just need to speed up everything else.

The hand should not stop, anywhere, after it breaks from the glove. If there is a pause, any momentum built up before that is lost and it all has to start all over again.[/quote]

If you go through the video frame by frame you will see that there is no pause at the top.

Even if there were it wouldn’t necessarily be bad.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]If you go through the video frame by frame you will see that there is no pause at the top.[/quote]How is that done in Youtube?

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Even if there were it wouldn’t necessarily be bad.[/quote]We’ll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Alive YouTube video converter.

On the last pitch front view I noticed a little head violence…but you weren’t clearing, head violence isn’t good (I know college coaches that exclude for it, or put you further down the list at the least) but given the nature of your vids, I’m not sure it would or wouldn’t translate to on the mound with a glove on. It looks like you are fairly well conditioned, are you working with a pitching coach? The reason I ask is that from the looks of it IMO refinement is what is needed for that extra velo you are looking for.

In the frontal view of the 2nd video, there is some head tilt at release point and, from the NPA perspective, that is not desirable as it pulls the release point back and up and generally makes it less consistent. It also affects movement.

My vote is to speed up everything else. Forward momentum really doesn’t start until after the peak of the knee lift - it needs to start sooner. Also, the pitcher needs to lead with the front hip more instead of the front foot.

In the frontal view of the 2nd video, there is some head tilt at release point and, from the NPA perspective, that is not desirable as it pulls the release point back and up and generally makes it less consistent. It also affects movement.[/quote]

You can’t throw from a high-ish arm slot without some head tilt.

It’s not a problem as long as the head is relatively steady and there is no head jerk.

Thowing from a “high-ish arm slot” is your preference - not the preference of the NPA whose perspective I was describing.

I don’t believe a slight head tilt is wrong if it is right around release of the ball.

Thowing from a “high-ish arm slot” is your preference - not the preference of the NPA whose perspective I was describing.[/quote]

But NPA believes that arm slot is genetic, so how can they have a preference?

Or do they believe that people whose genetics tell them to throw from higher arm slots are SOL?

Arm slot is relative to the shoulders - that is what’s genetic. The preference is for an upright posture.

Huh?

So NPA wants everyone to throw sidearm.

How does that jibe with what Greg Maddux, Roger Clemens, Tim Lincecum, and others actually do.

Arm slot itself is not genetic. Since “arm slot is relative to the shoulders”, That would be saying “achieving a certain amount of shoulder tilt is genetic”. It’s just an excuse for not being able to change someone’s arm slot because you either don’t know what you are doing or do not how the human body works. Therefore, you “leave him alone” so that you can’t attribute an injury to changing the arm slot.

Explain how Roger Clemens changed his arm slot from overhand in his Boston/Toronto days to his current high 3/4? Did he change his genetics? No, he changed his mechanics (shoulder tilt).

How does Tim Hudson and Bronson Arroyo do this?

The NPA’s recommended posture does result in a lower arm slot. Now, I must admit I’m not entirely clear on the shoulder tilt issue. The NPA wants the head and spine upright. I would think that if you can tilt the shoulders without tilting the head and spine, so be it. I’ll try to email the NPA and find out their recommendation on the shoulder tilt issue specifically.

Maddux does keep his head upright. When Clemens went to Houston, Nolan Ryan had him change his posture to keep the head more upright. Lincecum doesn’t have the control nor the proven durability that Maddux and Clemens do. Could that be due to the posture difference? Dunno.

I fail to understand the logic in this statement. Do you define arm slot as relative to flat ground? Please clarify.

Noone’s making excuses. The NPA believes that a pitcher’s throwing arm can be influenced indirectly by adjusting certain aspects of his mechanics but that it should otherwise be left alone. I will agree, however, that if a pitcher has a completely inappropriate arm motion then some direct corrections may be warranted. But that would be the exception - not the rule.

Agreed. It sounds like we’re actually on the same page except that you are defining arm slot relative to flat ground. When I look at your pictures of Clemens, his arm appears in about the same slot relative to head and shoulders. It is the head and shoulders being tilted that repositions the arm relative to flat ground.

[quote=“Roger”]The NPA wants the head and spine upright. I would think that if you can tilt the shoulders without tilting the head and spine, so be it.[/quote]I’m curious to hear what the NPA have to say about this. I don’t think it’s possible to tilt the shoulders without tilting the spine. I’ve always had the same thoughts as Chris on this. :shock: :smiley: From everything I’ve read here, they like the spine upright and the head/eyes level. That means sidearm to me. I’ve always had problems with this about House’s teachings. Pro examples don’t support those recommendations.

As XV84 pointed out, arm slot is the result of shoulder tilt, which is a function of tilting the upper spine. You can’t tilt the shoulders and still keep the spine upright.

Does the NPA believe, like many people, that arm slot is a function of the angle of the elbow at the release point?

It sounds like they do, because that’s the only way to reconcile their beliefs.

You are correct about Maddux.

Nolan Ryan threw high sidearm (lower than Maddux), so it was less of an issue for him.

I think it’s more important that the head be steady than perfectly upright.

This can only be a sign of the apocalypse. :wink: