15 Year Old Pitching

Just a few questions. I play High School baseball. I have had trouble pitching lately, I do visit a pitching trainer. I have been told I am staying open, and wide. Is there anyway I can stay closed and more compact, so I can hit my target in the zone. I am 5’9 weighing 130-135.

The pitches I throw are:

4 Seam Fastball - 55-68 MPH
2 Seam Fastball - 50-60 MPH
- Having trouble with my control on hitting the target called with these right now.
Circle Changeup - 40-50 MPH
Palm Ball - 38-50 MPH
12-6 Curve Ball (Almost fully learned, adding velocity to it.) - 30-55 MPH

I only throw the two fastballs and the changeup right now because I am struggling. I use to be able to pitch 8 innings, throwing only about 15 to 20 pitches an inning. Now I am over that because I am having trouble hitting my targets. Something I have learned from my trainer is called POWER T and POWER I.

Thanks,
Tyler:)

Here’s an interesting story about Jim Brosnan, a very good relief pitcher in the National League. In 1959 he was with the St. Louis Cardinals, and one day he was having a conversation with pitching coach Clyde King, and he was complaining about his two fast balls, the two-seamer and the four-seamer, neither of which was working for him. So King called in a catcher and instructed Brosnan to do some throwing, using both fast balls in the process. After about fifteen minutes he told Brosnan to drop the four-seamer and go with the two-seamer which was working much better for him. So Brosnan became a sinker-slider pitcher and had great success with this combination for several years with Cincinnati.
It’s possible that you’re facing a similar situation—that one of your fast balls is working better for you than the other. You need to check this out and see for yourself. It may be a timing issue. Also, did you know that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup? You can experiment with a few such—after all, it’s the grip that’s key here. You just might find yourself a good one to work with.
And as far as control goes—here’s something I used to do when I was a little snip and carried well into my playing days. I would get a catcher, and we would go to a little-used playing field, and I would take the mound while he set up behind the plate. And we would play a little game we called “ball and strike”, in which he would position his mitt in various places—high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head! :lol: I would concentrate on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt, and I did so with all my pitches, at different speeds, such as it was because I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of—and, because I was a natural sidearmer, I would use the crossfire a lot. I can tell you, that’s just about the best way I know of to sharpen one’s control!
Above all—relax. Don’t pull your hair out by the roots over your current difficulties with some pitches—just work at it, and eventually you’ll get things squared away. 8)

Post some video, if you get a chance. But you may just need to ride that front hip a little longer into foot plant. When you stride/expand sideways, make sure you’re leading with the hip (not the front foot). The longer you can lead with the hip, the more power you’ll generate AND the less likely you’ll open too early into foot plant.

Post a vid. I am also 15.
I got my stats in my sig, but don’t make any drastic changes in mechanics unless you feel comfortable. Some adjustments are correct and you need to work into feeling good with them.

Although I must say, my dad has been my only pitching coach from 8-15.

Most important- Throw every pitch JUST LIKE A FASTBALL.

Exactly! Whatever pitch you might be throwing, you have to throw every one of them with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as for a fastball. One thing you do NOT want to do is telegraph your pitches; otherwise you might as well just yell out to the batter “Here comes a changeup” or “Here comes a knuckle-curve”! Any adjustments you make to one pitch or another are either with the grip or by holding the ball further back in the palm of your hand or further forward—and you want to make sure to use a big enough glove so you can conceal the pitch from the prying eyes of, say, a runner on second base. And my incredible pitching coach told me to conceal the pitch till the last possible moment. 8) :slight_smile:

My incredible pitching coach taught me everything and stressed that.
My dad pitched in the minors so he is on top of all my mechanical stuff.

Everybody should have an incredible pitching coach! I’m glad you have one, just as I had mine many years ago. :slight_smile: