15 year old-last minute adjustments?

Hey guys, have been working on a lot of different things since last year. I did some work with Wolforths back chaining and that helped smooth things out. Mainly, I focused on getting a better scap load and staying closed. I will save the thoughts I have until I hear some of yours. Here is some of my info. I will be playing Varsity ball. Also these clips are 85-90% intensity. Was in between practices and didn’t want to overwork my arm. I have three different views.

Freshman- 15 years old
Height- 5’8
Weight- 160lbs
Velocity- fastball 76-78 (this was calculated by frames)
game velocity (100% intensity) 77-78

bump

beaver26, I think you look really good, solid mechanics, good pace and nice speed. I would like to see some game time video to see how you are on the bump with a batter in there.

Things I really like, solid balance, good hip drive and nice pull of leg off the rubber.

Only thing you might be able to do soon is to try and extend your stride down the hill a little more.

Thanks for the input buwhite. Our first game is a week from today, next Wednesday, and i think i will get a couple innings of work in. So i should be able to post some game video then. As for the stride, i am going to measure it the next time i have a chance and go from there.

Measuring it would be great since video doesn’t always tell the truth.

I would have to say you need to get lower. I slowed it down frame-by-frame but it’s still not good enough to see. Get lower as you push off.

As in “sit and move out”?

[quote]I would have to say you need to get lower. I slowed it down frame-by-frame but it’s still not good enough to see. Get lower as you push off.
[/quote]

Why would you want to get lower, the mound is designed higher so that you can throw down through the mound in order to get a higher angle and therefore make it harder to hit the ball, getting lower only makes for flatter pithes which are easier to hit…my thought is “stay tall”.

i think it depends on the pitcher’s
a.) athleticism
b.) comfort
because if you look in the mlb there r good pitchers who stay low and good ones that stay tall.

1.you need to stride longer!!

2.your arm swing action, i hope when you swing, don’t swing towards the back , you should swing from your side, not towrds your back

3.you have a good finish standing, without off the balance

keep 3. point up,

improve 1 and 2 points

I honestly don’t think that stride length is that much of an important factor. It comes from the amount of momentum you get earlier in the delivery. Simply trying to “stride longer” isn’t going to help. I have been on the SETPRO forums a lot lately, and Paul talks about how stride length can limit rotation. And rotation is a very important part of throwing hard.

exactly. stride length is just a product of your momentum and leg drive. “stride longer” isn’t advice at all. you just need to find that line between your maximum leg drive (stride length) and the maximum use of your hips.

I’m looking at you from end to start. You finish well - flat back position, head level, hand finishes behind landing leg. The problem I see is at ball release. Look at your last video and stop it at 2 seconds in. Notice your back leg. You are losing velocity and possible some control because your back foot should be in contact with the ground with laces facing down at toe hole instead of bringing your leg up with you.

My son had the same issues and the drill we did for muscle memory was this, I had him pitch and stop at ball release (without releasing the ball) and hold that pose. He had to keep his back leg in contact with the ground with his laces down at toe hole. This takes some time to correct because you have to burn it into muscle memory.

I’ll take a look at the rest of your motion and comment as well.

I saw that and am currently looking for a possible cause of this.

I think the possible reason for my knee coming forward like that is i am too linear, and don’t really rotate through release. This causes everything to be moving straight forward, and explains why my knee might be doing that.

Lately i haven’t been focusing at all on lower body, but just arm action, so it makes sense that my lower body isn’t where it needs to be. I haven’t experimented or studied it enough to know what it needs to do.

Some updated video here as .gifs. Was working on getting more initial bow, or forward torso lean, at peak leg lift. Was doing this so the following flex-bow would be more violent.

I see a lot of high school pitchers with this exact form. It would be great if some NPA “pros” could evaluate this. I think this is a great video for teaching advice and would help a lot of kids. So, in no particular order…how about it Dino, Roger, JD, etc. :lol:

Nice video BTW.

Lot’s of stuff going on here:

You need to develop some drills and backwards chaining techniques in this area of your delivery.

Since you are working on your upper body/arm action I won’t comment too much about your lower half (although you are stalling over the rubber - need faster tempo - and need to "sit "deeper and drive the back knee down and over as you move out - get moving!).

Your scap load is minimal and you have flexibility issues limiting an efficient rotation of your torso (currently more of a spinner and not a good one at that). This part of the bow/flex may be what you’re referring to and it needs a lot more work.

You also have issues in the shoulder complex which is causing your arm not to lay back as far as it should. This may be helped by better intent and more efficient rotation but I would look into why you appear so stiff in your throwing shoulder area.

Look at Lanky’s log as he has a lot of good drills that may help you out.

Good luck and keep working hard.

And here’s where I once again will talk about “The Secret”—it seems there are pitchers who don’t know about it.
Basically, what it is, is that you have to get your whole body into the action—drive off the lower half, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion. This is the real key to a pitcher’s power; when you get the coordination between the lower and upper halves of the body there is a continuous flow of energy all the way to the shoulder and the arm, so not only do you get more power behind your pitches but also you throw harder with less effort—taking a lot of pressure off said shoulder and arm, and it goes all the way to the follow-through. The hips are the connection, and a good thing to work on is the “Hershiser” drill which aims at getting the hips fully involved in this continuous, nonstop process.
Think of a piece of machinery—when you have it all working together, the flow is seamless, but when you stop and hesitate here and there you will not get that flow which you really need. 8)

What exactly should this look like? Can you get me a pitcher who does this well, and what my purpose of the drill would be? I see that the knee shouldn’t be driving forward like that. As i said earlier i think that is a result of lack of rotation.

Also realize i need lots of work here. I will start by trying to get a more efficient scap load.

I know this is horrible. Will work on it as soon as i get the chance. I think “throwing with the elbow” and having a looser arm could help with this.

I have, and am also getting lots of stuff from SETPRO.

Thanks for the feedback.