15 y/o 5'8" freshman left hander- please eval mechanic

Please evaluate my son’s pitching mechanics. This is a pitch from his last game of the year for his high school. Keep in mind that he was sick with pneumonia and did not pitch for two weeks and lost 10 pounds. He was pretty weak and did not have his legs under him. Looking for advice to work on over the next month before summer ball starts in June.

I meant to record him in a game situation and the season flew by and he missed the last quarter of the season with his illness. I know it is not the best angle. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a few opinions but would like to hear others as well. Thanks.

My son also had a bout of pnumonia as a freshman in hs. I hope he’s better…yow it was not good. This year (Freshman in college) He got nailed with mono…worst nasty thing ever…worst season he’s had.

The one pitch I wouldn’t really want to get too deep, but he is generating little momentum. Pretty much he hits foot strike and stops…
Please post a few more pitches so we can see him in a bit more detail.

He is feeling better but has no stamina or strength right now. It can take a while and unfortunately he has max lifts coming up in his strength and conditioning class for finals. He is worried he is going to struggle. Not sure the teacher/football coach understands the seriousness of his illness.

I will try and shoot some new video soon if I can. As far as the momentum thing, I try to get him to finish stronger but he insists he needs to be in a good fielding position. He is pretty good at balls up the middle but I am hoping to get more comments like these so he can get other points of view besides mine. :wink:

Here is clip of my son, he finished his Sr yr last year with no errors, in 10 starts, with many chances

…notice you can generate good mo and still end up in proper …or good fielding position. Try to explain to him that what he (Your son) is actually doing is putting huge strain on the shoulder and de-cells by abbreviating his delivery. It costs him speed, stamina and is effecting possible accuracy.

In my experience, it wouldn’t hurt to put in a call to his teacher and just sort of chat him up on his illness and the ramifications…it can make a big difference.[/url]

This pitcher plants on a closed off front foot which seems to lead to the front leg locking out early. (Has your son ever complained of hip, knee or ankle pain?) It also appears to block off hip rotation preventing good hip and shoulder separation.

I’d suggest having the pitcher start with the knees bent a bit and then attempt to open the front leg and foot more into foot plant. That should free up the hips to rotate more fully and achieve better separations from the shoulders. Then we can look at more video to determine where to go from there.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice above. I will probably give his teacher a call or e-mail and at least make sure he understands the situation. I think his momentum situation is definitely is affecting his velocity and control. He does not throw hard but batters always have difficulty hitting him. Lots of ground outs and pop ups. He gets into trouble with walks and going deep into counts at times.

Roger, usually my son lands more open and I am concerned he flies open too soon. It does appear in the video that he is landing closed. He does not have hip or ankle issues. His knees have always bothered him but not from pitching. He always has trouble squatting. Good thing he was never a catcher. :slight_smile:

I am going to get some more video up soon for better evaluation. Thanks again!

I am adding a couple more video from the same game but this time from the windup until I can shoot more. Any more comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

My son has gone to a couple of pitching lessons and after video tape it seems his arm was getting caught behing him. He was not really getting to a good power position or getting on top of the ball. How do you stay on top of the ball with a low arm angle?

Here is some video just working on staying on top of the ball. He has him taking the ball back higher as opposed to dropping it down lower like in his game video above. He was really straightening his arm. We have tried going back while trying to keep some bend in his elbow but is having a difficult time with it.

He was not going full bore as it does not look like he is gaining much momentum. Is he getting to far to the right of his plant foot and not out over it?

Arm getting caught behind usually means early shoulder rotation and that can be caused by posture issues or glove-side issues.

Very good question. I think “get on top of the ball” is a bad cue. What does it mean? More importantly, how did/does your son interpret it?

I personally wouldn’t mess with the throwing arm unless there was a blatant problem. Instead, I would get everything else in order and let the throwing arm adapt in the most natural way possible. What are the chances of that happening if you mandate that the arm do this or that?

I would say that is the case. At release, his glove and his center of gravity appears shifted to his right and not out over his front leg.

Roger,
His arm has a tendency to go towards the shortstop as he rotates his upper body. So he goes from about a 10 o’clock postion to 5 when he throws. He has a tendency to leave balls up and away or hold on to long and go down and in.

The pitching coach want him to work down and more vertical but his arm slot is more side to side so he misses alot as I said up and away or down and in. Should he be finishing closer to his knee?

How do you see the function of his glove side. He gets it out and then tucks? Any more advice would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

[quote=“parkee99”]Roger,
His arm has a tendency to go towards the shortstop as he rotates his upper body. So he goes from about a 10 o’clock postion to 5 when he throws. He has a tendency to leave balls up and away or hold on to long and go down and in. [/quote]
These are common symptoms of opening up early.

Working down is good but does not require a particular arm slot to do. I’ll have to take another look tonight (my company blocks YouTube) but it sure sounds like your son is opening up early. In other words, he probably has a timing issue. No need to mess with the arm slot.

Regarding the finish, a low arm slot will finish closer to the glove-side elbow than the glove-side knee. Randy Johnson is a perfect example in which to see this.

I’ll take another look tonight and get back to you.

Ok, try to stop the first video right at release and look at the glove positioning. The glove is way over to the side and looks to be well behind the front foot instead of over the front foot. Keeping the glove out front longer will allow him to stay closed longer and rotate late. That will also let him get his release point further out front.

If I were coaching your son, we’d work a lot on that glove side. The towel drill would be a good vehicle for working on that.

Roger, thanks for the advice! I know a lot of people are not fond of the towel drill. Today we worked on the towel drill for a bit and threw a short bullpen concentrating on the glove side. He actually threw pretty well for the most part. He stayed low in the zone for most of his pitches. He did end up with the glove side creeping up to his side and tucked early a few times but it was positive progress.

My son said they work on the towel drill occasionally at his high school but it was not like how I positioned him. It was funny the first time he went through his motion he missed the bucket by a foot and spun out to his right. He did exactly what we were trying to correct so I demonstrated to him what it should look like and went from there. I will post more video after we work on it a little more. Any more commentary or advice is greatly appreciated.

his foot is def. landing closed… after it hits the ground he points his toes towards the plate… but thats too late after his momentum is already stopped