14y pitching mechanics stop motion

This is a video I made from a set of camera stop motion pictures. I am looking for any suggestions on my son’s motion or anything you might see. He’s 5"8.5 and 197# turned 14 late Aug. He is wanting to play in high school.

(you might want to step through the video… I didn’t speed the frames up)

Minuses No Pelvic load, No scapular load, poor leg drive, breaks his hands a little too early, needs more flexibility.

Pluses. Great finish, great pronation after release.

The minuses are relatively easy fixes.

From the Wolforth training, I would use Hook Ems to teach pelvic load and hip drive. Tom House has a drill called the Hersciser drill that does something similar. As for flexibility, there are several books and videos that might help

Yes I agree with Slewbacca on many of the items, I think the first thing to do is get him to break his hands later and thus quicker, this should engage the hips more with the throwing arm. I think the best thing he has going for him is the flat back finish. Very nice.

When you say he is breaking his hand too early, what does that mean exactly? I was showing him the leg drive issues and looking into the other two just didn’t know how to explain the breaking of the hand.

thanks again! :smiley:

Needs work: momentum, mainly in hips. A more whippy or “intent” arm action.

positives: good extension and followthrough as well as solid front side mechanics

How is his accuracy?
I would guess he’s got some issues there. Watch his head, it goes from a posturally solid, straight forward to…whats that 45 degrees tilted? As he pronates his head moves in the opposite direction, this just can’t be good for his ability to hit his spots. It will also serve to dampen velocity…I would also be focused on controlling the front side and not “flinging” the glove. Some of the contemporary fireballers reach high on the front side…but I’d concentrate on a fundementally solid delivery more equal and opposite in glove/throwing arm symetry.

Last game he pitched:
6 innings, 70 pitches,
18 first pitch strikes,
5 strikeouts, (one three pitch inning),
one walk
2 hits.
no earned runs.
18 outs pitched, for 21 batters.

72% strike ratio.

Well congrats on the nice game. :smiley:

[quote=“jdfromfla”]How is his accuracy?
I would guess he’s got some issues there. Watch his head, it goes from a posturally solid, straight forward to…whats that 45 degrees tilted? As he pronates his head moves in the opposite direction, this just can’t be good for his ability to hit his spots. It will also serve to dampen velocity…I would also be focused on controlling the front side and not “flinging” the glove. Some of the contemporary fireballers reach high on the front side…but I’d concentrate on a fundementally solid delivery more equal and opposite in glove/throwing arm symetry.[/quote]

I agree with JD, great game but you may want to work on the head movement during the off-season and see what it does for his control and velocity.

“Breaking his hands too early” means that he is taking the ball out of the glove too soon in his delivery…

To develop a better tempo, have him try to raise his hands up as his leg goes up and lower the hands as the leg goes down. He should try to break his hands around the belly button/belt level as his body is shifting forward. Too many kids lift the leg and lower it while still positioned over the rubber - thus the hands break over the rubber as well. Instead, you want to lower the leg and break the hands as the hips are gliding toward the plate. This is to create better timing. Presently, your son gets his arm up into the high cock position a tad too early - if he breaks his hands lower/later, his timing will improve and so will his velocity.

Also, you should post a video of his delivery in real time - a lot of velocity issues are due to how fast one moves to the plate; an explosive delivery is better than a slow, robotic one. Watch how fast the little guys like Lincecum and Oswalt move to the plate - if the big guys could move their massive bodies that fast, they would all likely top 100 mph!

I wish I could tell you how to keep from breaking the hands too early. The way we did it was doing Hook Ems, loading the hips first and then breaking the hands. We also did a lot of Rev Ups to get the proper arm action.

Take a look at Lanky Lefty’s training log and Setpro for some ideas. Nyman’s recent post on Arm Action on Setpro.com are good also. One thing about arm action is too make sure you use your lats when loading the scapula.

Hope this helps

I found a video from earlier around early-mid September. I know it is not the best side but will work on getting one from the front side this weekend. They have a tournament so I am guessing he will pitch.

He catches also so I worry about too much strain on the body catching and pitching.

here’s the “full motion” video:

thanks again for the replies. See anything more from this vid?

He is crouching…as in watch his back leg, he breaks the knee and then kind of sits on it (It stays compressed).
Also is he showing up the ump at the end of that clip?? Make sure he knows it was caught…let him know that it is bad strategy…won’t impress anyone but mom…and then only cuz she loves him so much…a real quick way to lose a high school coaches respect…and it magically causes the strike zone to shrink to the size of a dime.

Here is a video of my son and his coach, it shows some posture and timing drills, you may be able to get some potential ideas from them…My best wishes on his continued success…