14U Pitching Mechanics 6/26/2020

Hello, I am a 14u Pitcher looking to really invest in developing solid pitching mechanics both for results and arm health. I would love to hear opinions on what I must improve upon and potentially a follow up with drills to use. Thanks, Rich

Hi RPF0629

When I look at videos to analyze, what I look for is a pitchers movement. Does a pitcher have good early momentum, how is overall rhythm and tempo, stride direction, ball release… If there is a flaw in a movement, I then look to see what caused that flaw. By fixing the flaw, movements usually straighten themselves out.

So lets start with what I see and that is a lack of early momentum (weight shift) at leg lift. High level pitchers have mastered this first movement. What we are looking for is a pitcher to shift his front hip away from the mound prior to hand break by using ground force to move his core down the mound while keeping his drive foot planted flat on the ground and keeping his support knee (vertical shin) over his support foot all before hand break.

As you can see in your image, at hand break you haven’t shifted your weight forward and your weight is still over your back leg. Hence, lack of early momentum.

LTP%20RPF Corey%20Oswalt

The first move you make is often the most important

1. When a pitcher’s first move is through the bottom of his entire foot at leg lift and before hand break, he has a much better chance to activate his glutes to help him move down the mound. An efficient and powerful lower half happens when a pitcher moves out with his weight distributed through his entire foot. This move allows him to get his butt behind his heel (vertical shin) as if he was sitting into his delivery. If a pitcher gets this first move right, his body feels no need to adopt any compensatory pattern, or to seek energy thorough improper movements.

glute-dominant-pitcher

My suggestion would be to work on proper weight shift (early momentum) out of leg lift and before hand break. You can find many drills on the internet for proper early weight shift

Steve C

I will be sure to do so, thank you.