14 yr old

Looking for some feedback. You all have always been very helpful. It’s been a year or more since I posted.

Thanks,
Mike

Too mechanical i.e. very deliberate delivery.

Body is very slow and transfer is very little momentum to the arm. You can see it at the very end of the throw where it’s all arm action.

Needs to be quicker and more aggressive and more explosive.

I did slow the video down one speed on youtube

I’m well aware that you slow the delivery down i.e. slow the video down. Even if you have speeded up the video above real-time feed his delivery would still be too slow as defined by the sequencing of the body parts.

That’s what I meant also by mechanical. There’s no explosiveness in the delivery.

ok, thx

In general, I think he has pretty decent mechanics. Much better than a lot of 14 year old players I’ve seen. Nice balance, leads with hips and a pretty good follow through.
However, IMO there are some adjustments you should look at making. Comments below are based on his position when stopping the video right as it hits 0:06, or 0:46.

1. His stride leg is mostly towards his target (slightly on the 1B side), but his foot lands too open. You can see this better in the last angle of your video (around 1:06). Try having him land his stride foot with toes pointing more towards target.

2. Shortly after his foot lands and arm is coming forward, his head and eyes are not on his target. They are looking more towards first base. Try to have him keep his eyes on his target longer.

3. Glove hand too low, not being used. Some people say glove to chest, others chest to glove. Either way, he’s not making use of his glove arm and your son’s glove is late getting to the chest. Work on utilizing the glove arm earlier in the delivery.

Thx for the input. I see that and it’s been something that has been brought up before about his front foot. Been really working on leading with the hips and getting hip/shoulder separation. I do have a question for someone, I notice his front knee collapses quit a bit and doesn’t get knee locked til very late. Is this normal ? I am much more knowledgeable with hitting. I know you want to get your front side firm to generate more torque with your hips. Your thoughts ?

And now…we’re talking about “The Secret”.
I learned it a long, long time ago. I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I used to watch the pitchers, particularly the Big Three, and I saw what they were doing—all three of them. They were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, creating a flow of energy all the way up through the shoulder and arm to the fingertips, thus generating more power behind their pitches so they could throw harder and faster with less effort, even Ed Lopat who was not a fireballer—and in the process, taking a lot of pressure off said shoulder and arm. I saw exactly how they were doing this, and I made a note of it so I could start working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I found that I was doing the same thing the Big Three pitchers were doing, with the same results—more power with less effort.
Later on Lopat checked me out on this, and he was very pleased with what I was doing. It didn’t hurt that I was a natural sidearmer with a consistent release point. Now—I think that your 14-year-old pitcher would benefit from learning “The Secret”, as I came to call it. A good place to start would be something called the “Hershiser” drill which aims at getting the hips fully involved and which requires no special equipment, just a fence or a wall. It would do much to solve the problem of his looking like a rusty robot on the mound. :baseballpitcher:

IMO Zita hit it in the head. He appears to have very little momentum to the plate with little leg involvement. In addition to that he does appear to be too deliberate which is potentially killing his momentum.

I agree that he could benefit from the Hershiser drill. It will help him get his hips going in the right direction, to the plate. It will also help him with his weight transfer getting his core more involved in the throwing motion.

However, the intent to throw hard must also be there. Speeding up his tempo will help him achieve the momentum shift he needs to get the legs and core involved. Therefore using the whole body to throw instead of throwing mostly arm.