14 yr old Picting Mech

Just looking for tips on my sons deliverly :idea

Well, I think he looks pretty good. There are always things for a young pitcher to work on with quality reps: Refinements to his mechs and timing, pitcher-specific conditioning and maintenance work routines in the gym, etc, etc.

At 14 yo your son looks in good physical shape from the video, and his mechanics look okay (as far as the video reveals his mechs.)

I do have some very specific suggestions for your future video recording of your son’s mechanics:

1. Always use a tripod. With the camera-shake from a hand-held video camera, it can be very difficult to even watch his video, much less differentiate subtle issues with his pitching motion from the greatly amplified field-of-view motions caused by unsteady hands.

2. Using 2D video, it is always helpful to have more than one perspective to look at: For a RHP, a video taken from 3rd base is very useful. A behind-the-catcher view can also be very useful, although you obviously will want to protect yourself and your camera appropriately to get that perspective.

If you have some specific questions about his mechanics, or pitching mechanics in general, or what-not, you should go ahead and ask them.

Ok thanks for your imput. On question would be after watching alot of pros videos slowed down. Most of them seem to leave the rubber with there back foot by at least a foot before realeasing the ball. Is there some good drills to get closer to home plate with out messing with his deliverly to much. Thanks

Your son’s post foot also leaves the rubber after his stride foot plants out front, but it immediately pops up off the ground so its difficult to see that it also is coming forward. But, I think it’s the overall length of a pitcher’s stride, measured from the front edge of the rubber to the toes of his stride foot where he lands, that determines how close he gets to home plate…

However, returning to the post foot for a moment: Most elite pitchers drag their post-foot, and it seems to be related to the posture they maintain throughout their delivery. There aren’t very many elite pitchers without a post foot drag-line of some length and shape, but there are a few out there without one.

If nothing’s broken, don’t fix it. But, if your son has trouble with consistent control of the strike zone he might want to experiment with a small change to his posture: Start his delivery with a slightly lower posture–basically starting from an athletic position, i.e., a “free-throw” stance, and maintain that slightly lower posture through to foot strike. The point of this is really to avoid unnecessary north-south head movement during his delivery.

Starting with a more stable posture should probably give him a drag-line, without even thinking about it. It might also give him a sense of better dynamic balance from the time of leg-lift through to foot-strike.

These are just some ideas to experiment with, derived from my understanding of some of Tom House’s stuff on the drag-line concept. House uses a pitcher’s signature drag-line as a diagnostic tool for discussion of some types of issues related to posture, dynamic balance, and the pitcher’s starting point on the rubber.

I think this pitcher could stand to generate more momentum. If you focus on his butt-area (that’s all we can see from the camera angle) and watch how fast and how far is move, it isn’t as much as I think it could be. I’d like to see him get his hips moving forward (sideways) sooner - like right before knee lift - and faster. This should help create a longer stride and, with good posture and balance as laflippin pointed out - should produce a (longer) drag line.