14 yo 8th grade arm health

Where I live, we push boys hard and I’ve been guilty myself coaching Tball-13U. My oldest is an athletic 5-10/160lb kid who already throws mid 80s on the mound and tee velo in mid 80s. He is an absolute workaholic, which is a rarity these days. I know that is good but it sort of scares me. He throws and hits probably 330 days a year (by himself if friends, I or little bro isn’t around) year around, works out too much, and when not throwing a baseball is throwing a football and taking and giving nasty hits. Played last year with broken L5 and torn hammy and no one knew. He’s only 14 but has always cut himself off I guess when he feels it’s too much or is close to sore. I worry with his thyroid disease and work ethic of an increase in injury. He also feels a lot of pressure, I think, having played 18U at 13 and now varsity SS/P as 8th grader and now the showcase wants to play him up since his year group can’t be recruited anyway. He hears people talk…stays real humble though…really too young to know how to handle the talk probably…but he’s still my boy. I just keep telling him to have fun and don’t burn out and keep his grades up or none of it will matter. Now he’s stuck on running track to better his 40/60…Lawdy!!! I do beg him just to kick the football but he loves to hit people and score. What other advice do I give him. My wife and I just seem like naggers…“take your medicine…vitamins…homework…study…stretch…drink water…get rest…your doing too much…” They don’t listen to parents in 2021…how do you keep young athletes healthy at this age? DO I just trust him to do right???

Creynolds,

” They don’t listen to parents in 2021…how do you keep young athletes healthy at this age?

Nothing you can do about blunt force accidents other than keep extreme athletes away from extreme sports or activities.

Pitching is another can of worms. Have you assessed his biological age to better control when training progressions should occur? Is he advanced, Equated or delayed?

The first thing all parents should know and do to protect ballistic performing overhead throwers is that permanent injuries occur from this activity if not guided by proper scientific mechanical information.

DO I just trust him to do right???

No. All youth throwers intuitively produce force patters that have the Elbow crash together ballistically causing many types of injuries. Because our arms are attached off to the side rotation slings the (centrifugally) Humerus and forearm out to the side, involuntarily (no Triceps contraction), this action produces natural forearm supination that has the Elbow bones collide at end of range of motion. This occurs with the S.Curve, S. Fastballs and S. Sliders on every rep.

Mitigation occurs when you voluntarily teach him to Forearm pronate his drives and releases.
All pitch types can be thrown this way!

Look for his Elbow to pop up at release and recovery.

Have him never step behind (drop step) so he can use rotation while throwing the ball forwardly.

Have him stay tall from start to recovery and body rotate 180 degrees.

This is 1% of the info you need, it’s free at DrMikeMarshall.com