14 year old mechanics

Hey well im 14 years old and about 6’2. i weigh about 165 and i throw a fastball, curve, changeup, and knuckleball. ive never been to a pitching coach and ive never been clocked either. any comments r welcomed! thanks

When I click on the video, it says the video is no longer available. :?:

62 is realy tall for your agee

i think it works now

[quote=“fastballer123”]i think it works now[/quote]Nope.

i can get it to work. ill try and change the settings on the video and see wat happens.

can u get a side view of u pitching?

yea sure. i wish i couldget some videos of me on the mound.

you need to stride farther I think. Your arm gets behind your legs and hips because you take such a short stride. and you stride a little bit across your body.

Pitching in sandals, as per the side view video, may alter your mechanics somewhat.

In any case, your side view video appeared to show not very much hip/shoulder separation–it almost looked like your throwing-side shoulder rotates forward (opens) before your hips.

At footstrike, your hips should be starting to rotate forward while your shoulders are still closed. The opening (forward rotation) of your shoulders should be delayed as long as possible (I’m only talking about a tenth of a second here) after footstrike. Hip/shoulder separation and delayed shoulder rotation is where pitchers with traditional mechanics derive most of their power.

Dude, sandals? You should be giving us proper attire and full intensity in video.

But based on what you gave us, it is clear in the first video that you stride to the throwing arm side. Yet at foot plant, the lower part of your stride leg is tilted to the glove side. That tells me you’ve got a lot of energy directed back to the glove side and the lower leg is positioned that way to support the weight moving in that direction. At a minimum, you should be throwing from the glove side of the rubber. You might also want to straighten out your stride direction.

I think the lack of hip and shoulder separation that laflippin pointed out is probably caused by the above issue. Having to square up to the target after striding closed results in a posture shift to the glove side and that pulls the shoulders open early.

Finally, I think you could use a bit more tempo. You appear to be a tall and lanky kid and might not have good core strength right now. If that’s the case, you might find using more tempo to take more effort. But I think it’s the direction you need to move in. The core strength will come as you grow older as well as from working out.

I am sorry for the sandals. i will try and get a video of me in proper attire and on a mound here shortly. now for my mechanics. from what everyone is saying im not getting enough hip/shoulder separation, im not striding far enough, and i need to have more tempo. am i correct?

fastballer,

Stride length is not something that I teach, per se. It’s an empirical fact that almost all elite pitchers get a stride somewhere between 90 - 110 % of their own height (as measured from the front edge of the rubber to the toes of the stride foot), but I think they generally get that as a natural consequence of taking care of some earlier issues in their pitching delivery.

For example, it’s very important to optimize your balance & posture before going into the stride. Trying to achieve a long stride without finding your optimum balance & posture is likely going to give you a long, awkward stride that you can’t control. If you are not balanced in a stable posture that you can maintain through footstrike and release of the ball, you will have difficulty controlling your release point–and the bottom line is, pitchers need to be able to control their release point with great consistency.

That makes it sound like you should concentrate on your release point, right? Actually not. Start at the beginning.

Your release point will only be consistent if your stride is optimal and consistent. Your stride will only be consistent if you have already optimized your balance & posture going into the stride.