14 ways to hurt your pitching arm

I found this article and i thought it was pretty interesting
read it here from the site
http://www.webball.com/cms/page2012.cfm
tell me what you think about it.

We’re having a thundershower here in Tampa, at 4:35 PM, and I just got through reading this edifying post on how to screw up one’s arm. I do have a few comments—and rebuttals—on some of these ideas, and I intend to discuss them here and now while I wait for the rain to stop.
Have a good arm—well, it does help to have a good arm, but that is not enough. I’ve seen too many instances of pitchers, young and old, mess up their arms because that’s all they throw with—the arm and the shoulder. What one has to do—this is absolutely essential—is get the whole body into the action, drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion; not only does this generate more power behind one’s pitches, it also takes a lot of pressure off said arm and shoulder. Doing this enables a pitcher to throw harder and faster with less effort. This is"THE SECRET" which I learned a long time ago.
Pitch counts—look at what happened to Joba Chamberlain! I don’t need to say any more. The “Joba rules”, trying to make a starter out of a very good relief pitcher—now he’s neither, and I don’t know what’ll become of him. The only reason I can see for pitch counts is when a pitcher has just come off rehab, and the manager wants to ease him back into pitching. So he starts off with, say, 50 pitches, then increase it to 60, then 70—at the pace at which the pitcher can take it. Yankees, you goofed.
A pitcher absoloutely needs sufficient time to warm up, and never mind time constraints. This is particularly true when a relief pitcher has to come into the game in a hurry because the starting pitcher was injured. In fact, the baseball rules stipulate that if a pitcher has to come into the game under these circumstances s/he is to be given as much time as is necessary to be properly prepared to pitch. As for starters, they need sufficient time, and to make them rush because the umpire has to get home in a hurry or scorekeepers have a beer-and-bowling date at a certain time, or whatever—nah, that’s not going to cut it.
I have said this many times, and it bears repeating because people don’t listen the first time: much as throwing “over the top” may look spectacular, that’s the surest way to destroy a pitcher’s arm. How many times have I seen—whether on these boards or in games—a pitcher in distress because his coach insists on his throwing over the top, straight overhand, when nine times out of ten this is not the pitcher’s natural delivery? What’s more important—putting on a spectular show or getting the batters out in the way that’s most comfortable and natural for a pitcher? Huh? I was fortunate to have a pitching coach whose basic precept was that every pitcher has a natural motion and you don’t mess with it; what he did was work with that pitcher and show him/her how to make the most of what s/he had and could do, and that meant working with the pitcher’s natural delivery. (Mine was sidearm.)
I’m sort of on the fence about teaching youngsters how to throw a curve ball. My idea is that for some of them it’s advisable to wait a couple of years until some growth plates in the arm have matured, while some others are ready at eleven or twelve—and if a kid has a natural curve ball, work with him/her to develop it. (I discovered that I had a natural sidearm delivery at age eleven, and what came attached to it was a nice little curve ball, so I worked with it and developed and refined it.) This is really more of an individual matter; there’s no hard-and-fast rule on the subject.
The last two I want to mention—where to land on the foot and pushing or not pushing off the back leg—are part of a simple matter of good mechanics. You need to land on the ball of the foot, which provides additional momentum in delivering the ball to the plate, and if you’re
working with “The Secret” you’re driving off the lower half of the body, which involves pushing off the back leg, doesn’t it? To do otherwise would be like starting up the car, driving a couple of feet and then suddenly slamming on the brake, and that’s not exactly good for the car, is it? Now, all these things I’ve been talking about stem from my own experience on the mound. Take note. :slight_smile: 8)

wow these are just great