13U Fun Pitching Drills

I have a little drill that I do for my 13U team. I call it 137. Let me know what you think.

I give the boys a 10-pitch drill. (2 to 4 reps a practice).
The 1 represents-throw your first pitch for a strike, the 3-is sometime within the 10 pitches you must throw 3-strikes in a row and the 7-is to throw 7 of your 10 piches for strikes. Rotate pitchers or throw another 10-pitch rep.

Although they don’t all make the 137 every time, I feel that they concentrate a little more on throwing strikes (this early in the season). The boys do enjoy it and they like to compete against their team mates too. I’ll then recognize the best of the day as the Cy Young winner for that practice. I received a response back from the parent of our Cy Young winner from yesterday and he told me that his son was so exited that he was the winner that day. This is the fun part of coaching.

Do any of you have any other drills that you use in practice that your boys like to do that help with their pitching?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Great drill. I will put it to use this weekend with my son’s 12 year old team that an asst. coach on. I work mostly with the pitches.

Nothing new but as you know, many young pitchers have difficulty coming completely over and instead remain upright throughout their delivery. There are many problems created with this. The towel drill is one way to work on this issue. One other thing that I do is place an empty bucket to the left of a right hand pitcher and out in front where the pitcher should end up at the finish of a pitch. I have them go through their complete windup and pitching motion BUT they must hold on to the ball. At the end of the pitch they have to drop the ball in the bucket. They cannot do this if they remain upright. After a couple of reps, I have them release the ball but still mimic dropping the ball in the bucket. I usually have them do the towel drill before this.

That bucket drill is good. I immediately thought of 2 of my pitchers that will benefit from this one.

Thanks-good luck this weekend on your pitchers.

This is not a problem.

Leaving the ball up in the zone is usually due to a timing problem, not because of a lack of bending through the release point.

[quote=“Bobbybanker”]I have a little drill that I do for my 13U team. I call it 137. Let me know what you think.

The 1 represents-throw your first pitch for a strike, the 3-is sometime within the 10 pitches you must throw 3-strikes in a row and the 7-is to throw 7 of your 10 piches for strikes. Rotate pitchers or throw another 10-pitch rep. [/quote]

This is a good drill.

I am also a big believer in simulated innings. Keep track of balls and strikes.

Its hard to know how to focus in a real game if you can’t focus in a simulated game.

[quote=“Bobbybanker”]I have a little drill that I do for my 13U team. I call it 137. Let me know what you think.

The 1 represents-throw your first pitch for a strike, the 3-is sometime within the 10 pitches you must throw 3-strikes in a row and the 7-is to throw 7 of your 10 piches for strikes. Rotate pitchers or throw another 10-pitch rep. [/quote]

This is a good drill.

I am also a big believer in simulated innings. Keep track of balls and strikes.

Its hard to know how to focus in a real game if you can’t focus in a simulated game.

Chris,

I hear this phrase uttered all the time “simulated innings.” For my son when we would work on pitching in the back yard-no batter just me calling balls and strikes, I would have him pitch until he struck out 3 or walked four. Usually a night before pitching the next day worked well. Not really “keeping count” though.

What is your definition of simulated innings if you can elaborate for me? How many pitches does an inning make-strike out 3?

Thanks,

Bob