13 yrold just started pitching last November appreciate inpu

The first thing to address is establishing a stable posture through your delivery (up to ball release). By this, I mean doing what you need to do to keep your head from moving any direction other than towards home plate.

Start with your feet closer together (about armpit width apart) so you don’t have to move your body back towards 2nd base when you go into knee lift.

Put some bend in your knees and waist to get into a more athletic position - one where your core muscles are engaged and can batter stabilize your posture.

Then try to keep your nose on line with the target.

Once you’re able to stabilize your posture, then work on stabilizing your glove.

i’ll try that. we have another lesson this sunday and have been working on a drill of balance hold. i noticed from behind.that my head and spine do tilt quite a bit to the gside. so you are saying that it should be more over my stride leg? thanks for your input. any drills would be appreciated. I will video this sunday’s leson.

I’d put the focus on getting your head moving towards the target and not in any other direction. The stride foot plants and stops moving forward while your head should continue moving forward.

we will focus on this in the basement doing towel drill and this sundays lesson will tape.
Thanks again!

he say’s it tougher to get a bigger stride on flat ground. i tend to agree.tried to get him to stabilize the head how does it look.

One more thing that I see in the new video is that his knee kick is too high, it really doesn’t need to get much more than parallel to the ground. When his knee comes up so high it makes him go way up on his post foot also and that could be part of the balance issue. Good Luck.

I agree with buwhite’s comment. The pitcher does raise up on his posting foot toes during knee lift. But that is undesirable movement in a direction other than at the target.

You could try to have him tone down the knee lift. Or, you could try putting him in a more athletic starting posture with slight bends in the knees and waist (think “batting stance”). A more athletic posture might let him keep the knee lift without having to exert unnecessary forces or create unnecessary movements.

i appreciate your input. now guys i have a couple of questions. I agree his knee kick is excessive. we’ll work on that. He pitches pretty much over the top not 3/4 slot, what I notice is his release is like right at the top of the arc, not sure if that is a good thing, i hear the downward plane pitch is a good thing, but i think his release should be more outfront??? Also is his stride enough?

A release point that is out front give the batter less time to see and react to the ball - the ball gets on the batter quicker and that is one form of deception. A release point that is out front will also produce better movement on beaking pitches. And a release point that is closer to home plate means a later break for breaking pitches. Late movement is good.

A high release point is occurs further back and often is accompanied by a postural tilt which can put additional stress on the throwing arm (according to an ASMI study) and can lead to other issues (e.g. balance issues and early shoulder rotation).

I prefer a release point that is out front.

Now what drill to help on working on a release that is out front? I heard towel drill, any objections?

I am not disagreeing with you on the balance and therefore postural issues my son is having, but after slowing down the video it looks to me like he keeps his shoulders clsed until after the hips open, in fact I wonder if his scap load or separation is almost too great. sorry, i don’t see the shoulders opening early. I do appreciate your input. let me know where or what i am not seeing. he definitely has a high release point.

The towel drill is not a release point drill. It is a total body mechanics drill. Put all the pieces together and the release point will occur out front on its own (i.e. you’ll be able to hit the target with the towel). The goal of the drill is to have perfect-for-you mechanics. Hitting the target is just feedback.

Ayway, to get that release point out front, you need good posture and balance, good timing to stay closed and rotate late (starts with controlling the glove), and good momentum.

You lost me here. I don’t think anyone here said your son wasn’t keeping his shoulders closed - correct me if I’m wrong. I did say that postural issues can lead to early shoulder rotation but I don’t think I meant to imply that was the case.

My bad sorry Roger. You have really helped me help my son. I appreciate your input. Now for him to work on it. we will post after a couple of weeks and show results. Thanks for all your help.