13 yr old RHP

Would like to have some feed back on mechanics and any areas for improvement. 13 yr old recent bullpen sessions. One from side and one from rear. Video from rear was work on curve recently started learning, struggling a little with it on this day. One FB in the mix is easy to spot. Thanks

His arm is not loose after release. I would be concerned of deceleration issues (future arm problems). It seems as though he is getting a nice push off the ground for power.

Son attended HS Camp last month & said coach told him and most in group needed to decelerate arm. He wasn’t sure what it meant and thought he may have misunderstood (I wasn’t there). Could you explain more about what this means? Thanks

I honestly don’t mean to inject any neg input here - BUT, I’d take your son out of this picture, and quickly. Here’s why -

• your son went to a HS camp to learn, to be instructed in how to pitch healthy.
    ======= He didn’t get that.
  • your son trusted an adult that was in charge of your son’s learning curve.
    ======= He didn’t get that.
  • your son has no way of knowing what’s right and what’s not.
    ======= That he still has.

Cut your losses and go some place else. Don’t settle for “this is the only game in town.”

For your son to come away from his experience with this lack of quality tells me that:

• your son is really not into this, or maybe just too shy to speak up.
  • your son has a coach who is not qualified, thus really not into this.
  • maybe a combination of both.

I strongly suggest that you search the web and research the issue of growth plates and the structure of the human shoulder. When you become aware of how delicate the youth body is at the shoulder, you step into a world of understanding, better, how deliberate you and your son must be with his coaching/pitching experience.

Coach B.

Well said Coach Baker. When I look at a pitcher the first thing that I look at is the health of the arm (injury , stress ). The coach showed your son how to throw harder without doing the first thing . There is a process to this.

HS camp was day camp only. Son should have spoken up when he didn’t understand but didn’t; doesnt mean he’s not into it but possibly a little intimitated (not accustomed to working with high school coach). Watched some videos and understand comments on arm deceleration. Have also watched and read recent thread “intent”. Goose Gossage and several others would receive same critique on finish? Interesting subject. Would like to hear other comments/advice on arm deceleration and other areas of improvement for my son. Thanks

Mike, you’re right to say that Goose and others could recieve critique on their finish as well as other parts of their mechanics. However, this isn’t about Goose or any other ML pitcher. This is about your son and his mechanics.

Basically, IMO, his finish now is the equivilent of slamming into a brick wall. With his finish and “sudden deceleration” he is restricting velocity and potentially opening the door to injury. His lower half needs to be involved in the process as well.

[quote=“Turn 22”] However, this isn’t about Goose or any other ML pitcher. This is about your son and his mechanics.

Not disagreeing, just interesting to see Gossage and others snap it off at the end. Talked to pitching coach during week and he worked with my son on finish in session today. Video from today posted below.

The youngster’s stride foot is planting and landing with the toes pointing towards the third baseline. This action is sent up, to the torso and shoulders by restricting his muscle structure to move freely with the ending of his pitching cycle - thus he’s doing a “drumroll” dash down the portable mound.

Suggest to this youngster that his stide leg shouldn’t be as high - for now, control that leg more so it stretches out sooner.

Take note of his golve hand also. Notice were his glove hand starts to finish and commit to stop’g - THAT’S WHERE HIS STRIDE FOOT PLANTS. A shallow stretch of the glove arm/hand, can cause a shallow stride leg and a stride foot that land off center of a line directly to the plate. Thus, then end result is a pitcher who releases across himself.

By the way, it’s not unusual for a pitcher to go game speed, just a couple of innings, to start to feel a stiffness in his lower back, a a bit of elbow strain and stomach discomfort.

Coach B.

Thanks for the insight Coach Baker. Appreciate you going the extra mile and providing valuable information by private message as well as on this site. All taken to heat and issues we will address. About half way through publication you sent. Very insightful and worth the read. Thanks again.