13 year old.

Hi, I’m 13 years old. I started pitching last year for my school team as a reliever and the backup starter. I am looking to make the jump as a full time starter this year and need some advice. I throw about 58-70(terrible for 8th grader) but that isn’t my game. I throw knuckleballs, spitters, a changeup, and am trying to work on a ephus-esk lob pitch to throw as a ball to mess up the batters speed. I have a consistent issue of missing high, and i think it’s due to me not stepping down, but staying upright. i was a side-armer last year, but i have gone to overhand. I have a issue with my fastball command. I can’t seem to control it, and yea, That IS the first thing you learn, but I started late. any ideas?

Post some video of yourself pitching and folks should be able to give more/better feedback.

You throw spitters?

58-70 mph doesn’t sound bad for 13, to me…

55+ is fine @ 13… if you can locate pitches.

Keep working on your fastball… those other pitches will not be effective without a fastball. By 15-16 the hitters will be more developed & disciplined & if theres no fastball they will sit back on you & have a good time.

We’d all love to have top tier fastballs, but plenty of guys are having success, fun & winning with average velocity but good to great control.

Having said that… if its really 58-70 thats actually good to great. 58 is good… 70 @ 13 is pretty darned good if not great.

Either way, develop the fastball & those other pitches compliment it.

Have fun.

Wihout video it’s really hard to analyze anything.

That being said, in my opinion, you sound like you need to develop and get comfortable throwing and locating the fastball first. Then work on throwing breaking stuff off of the fastball.

I remember way back when—I discovered that I would never be one of those rip-roarin’ fireballers, so I went in the other direction and became a snake-jazz pitcher—and, as it turned out, a very good one. I built up a good arsenal of breaking pitches and offspeed stuff, and with it came very good control and command of all of it. Not to mention the crossfire—I used to drive batters crazy with that one. As my wise and wonderful pitching coach (an active major-league pitcher) told me, if you can’t overpower the hitters, outthink and outfox them. And remember what Babe Ruth, who knew a little something about pitching, once said: A good changeup will cause batters more grief than anything else. 8)

As a 13 year old 58-70 doesnt sound bad at all, I got the chance to play in Canada’s western nationals this year and the fastest pitchers were throwing 68 and the fastest anyone was clocked at was 71 mph, so 59-70 isn’t bad at all.

As a 13 year old 58-70 doesnt sound bad at all, I got the chance to play in Canada’s western nationals this year and the fastest pitchers were throwing 68 and the fastest anyone was clocked at was 71 mph, so 59-70 isn’t bad at all.