13 year old velocity not enough

He is 6 foot but 118, needs to gain weight, his back leg is maybe not getting triple extension but I would like advice thanks for comments

Hi Scott,

Yes you are absolutely correct in saying your son needs to gain more weight and I am sure he will. With him being only 13, I am sure he already eats you out of house and home. If and when he starts lifting weights, I would suggest making sure he doesn’t skip working his core and legs as many kids do his age. This is very important because the first phase of the pitching delivery relies heavily on the lower have moving explosively through the zone.

Which brings me to his first velocity leak, his lower half. This is what I look for when evaluating the first phase of pitching:
1. Back foot planted firmly on the ground. This is hard to see but it looks like he does this well. You can easily tell if the back foot is not firmly planted in the ground when a pitchers heel lifts first, or ball of foot lifts first, or the inside of the knee starts rotating because he pushes off on his instep instead of keeping the entire back foot anchored to the ground. A pitcher wants to use the ground to create force that will move his core down the mound.
2. Getting gathered and loaded. This is the first velo leak I see. As your son is getting gathered and loaded in his leg lift, his first move out of leg lift is down instead of using his back leg to generate ground force to start moving him (his core) out and down the mound…
3. Momentum towards home plate before hand-break (not a must, but a good rule of thumb). Because your sons first move is down and not out, he is losing velo by getting stuck over the mound. Take a look at the arrows on the picture and you can see what I mean by getting stuck over the mound. What I see is your son engaging his hips but he is not engaging them properly. He uses his back leg to push his hip out in order to lead with the hip. Instead, your son should be using the ground force to generate early momentum enabling him to move his core down the mound.
4. Stable and engaged with the back leg Pitchers at hand break start to sit into their delivery (phase 2 of the delivery) and ride their core, staying closed as long as they can down the mound. They can do this because their back foot remains flat and engaged with the ground. Your son sits well into his delivery. You can see this because he has not turned his knee in yet in this part of the deliver. The problem he has is, he did not generate early momentum in the beginning of his delivery which leaves him with his hip pushed out and his head still over the rubber.
5. The center of gravity and hips must lead the action

This is what I saw in the first phase of his delivery. There are 4 other phases where he leaks some velo as well. I won’t get into that yet because I feel it is important that a pitcher must understand and correct the lower half first. Sometimes fixing the beginning, fixes the end results as well

Picture is taken at hand break

Hope this helps,
Steve

Thanks steve… I work with him so much, hearing another person really helps

No problem Scott,
There is one other thing I also noticed and it is probably the reason why he sticks his hip out instead of riding the core down the mound. Take a look at his lift leg foot in the picture. The front of his foot (toes) is pointing towards second base which is automatically pushing his hip forward. Also, because he starts his foot that way. the body usually corrects and reorders itself and opens up the foot in the opposite direction. This usually occurs when the foot opens up to early (early rotation) and/or at landing.

This also happens to your son. Correct using the leg drive bottom of his foot (proper use of ground force) to generate early momentum to move his entire core out and down the mound. Also, work on fixing his drive leg foot (opens too soon) so it doesn’t overcompensate and reorder itself as he works down the mound. You can do this by teaching him how to drive down the mound showing part of his entire foot (bottom part of his foot) to the catcher.

He can do a ton of dry drills without throwing a baseball this upcoming Fall and Winter. I love blending drills. What I mean by this is, I take 1 drill and have a pitcher feel the new movement pattern 5 times and blend it. After the 5 movements, I let him go through his full motion (delivery). Then I do this with 4 movements, all the way down to 1 movement followed by his full delivery. Then let him go through the full delivery. I do this for 3 sets almost daily.

Look at your sons lift leg foot in these pictures and you can see how in pic 1 it causes him to push his hip out. In pic 2 he opens too early in the delivery. In pic 3 the foot overcompensates and at landing, his foot is very open.

LTP%20ScottG4 LTP%20ScottG2 LTP%20ScottG3

If you have any questions let me know

Steve

i thought about that too, we were trying to copy trevor bauer… see this video… is there a different video or someone u prefer? i do think maybe i need to teach him to keep his shoulders back, maybe a medicine ball, open hips but not shoulders… but i honestly debate within myself about staying closed or copying trevor
check this video… thanks for much for your comments, i truly appreciate them…im a little obsessed with pitching
:slight_smile:

Trevor Bauer is very unique in his delivery. I don’t teach trying to copy one individual because we are all unique and different. We have different heights, weights, release points… but I do believe basic movements in the pitching delivery are the same in all high level pitchers. Good early momentum, Engaging the backside and sitting into your delivery, Keeping your center of gravity (hips) over your “driveline” to home plate. Stay loaded and closed with your hips and trunk. Unwind into foot plant, front side stabilization, and finish

If I have a smaller sized pitcher, more compact, I like to look at the movements from Zack Greinke, Marcus Stroman, and Danny Salazar. If I have a tall lanky pitcher, I like to look at Justin Verlander and Jacob deGrom’s movements. All of these pitchers are different but they all hit certain movements at a certain point in the delivery very well.

Steve