13 Year Old To Review

My son has had a challenging summer facing better competition. He has had great moments and some moments that were hard to watch. Here is an update on his mechanics. I tried to pick a portion where he had both good and bad pitches so you could see maybe where the breakdown is.

From reviewing them I really think he needs some glove side work. He has his first all-star showcase in two weeks where they will pick 12 kids to play in Florida in December so he working extra hard the next few weeks.

Sorry for the lack of mound but we do not use mounds until they hit HS here in Central Illinois. Please feel free to give feedback on what he needs to work on. Thanks in advanced.

He is 13 1/2 about 5-8 and 135lb.

Front View

Side View

Behind View

Hi munster,

I like everything I saw in his delivery except his initial stance. He is setting up with his feet too wide apart, in my opinion, and he compensates for that when he starts his motion.

If I were you I’d ask him to make just this one minor adjustment: Start with feet about armpit-to-armpit width apart, then deliver the ball as he is doing it now.

With a showcase coming up in two weeks I’d try my best to make him feel relaxed and confident, maximize the f-word (no, not that f-word, I meant fun, fun, fun)…avoid incorporating lots of new stuff right now, don’t get into his head with pressure to be perfect.

Definitely play regular catch with him and hold several bullpen sessions with him in the next two weeks…but keep the mood light and relaxed, ya know?

Best luck to munster, jr.

[quote=“laflippin”]Hi munster,

I like everything I saw in his delivery except his initial stance. He is setting up with his feet too wide apart, in my opinion, and he compensates for that when he starts his motion.

If I were you I’d ask him to make just this one minor adjustment: Start with feet about armpit-to-armpit width apart, then deliver the ball as he is doing it now.

With a showcase coming up in two weeks I’d try my best to make him feel relaxed and confident, maximize the f-word (no, not that f-word, I meant fun, fun, fun)…avoid incorporating lots of new stuff right now, don’t get into his head with pressure to be perfect.

Definitely play regular catch with him and hold several bullpen sessions with him in the next two weeks…but keep the mood light and relaxed, ya know?

Best luck to munster, jr.[/quote]

Thank LA

We will try moving his feet closer and see what effect it has, it might be what is making him a little inconsistant with his delivery.

Do you think his head is tracking to the target ok?

Looks like he’s trying to set up like Dempster :wink: Tell him not to make it so pronounced…just relax.
What warms my heart is looking at those wear marks in the yard…If only they could talk. 8)
I think he’s looking good…follow what La advised and bring the tri-pod :lol:

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Looks like he’s trying to set up like Dempster :wink: Tell him not to make it so pronounced…just relax.
What warms my heart is looking at those wear marks in the yard…If only they could talk. 8)
I think he’s looking good…follow what La advised and bring the tri-pod :lol:[/quote]

Thanks JD

We moved to a new house about a year and a half ago and that was one of the things I miss about the old place, the 4 years of marks in the back yard as he grew.

A lot of good times, enjoy it while you can because it goes way too fast.

re: “Do you think his head is tracking to the target ok?”

------------Yes, I do. I think he looks real good in all respects, except that IMO he should narrow his starting stance just a bit…I think his starting motion will be more balanced if he begins with his feet approximately armpit-to-armpit width.

Good suggestions on narrowing his stance. I think his head tracks well to the target.

What I’d like to see is the glove stabilize more in front of his chest, or at least within the width of his torso at release rather than off to the side as it does now. Without really counting it seems his misses are high left and low right. IMO with better glove side stabilization he’ll stay “closed” slightly longer and his consistency will improve. This adjustment may take some time to implement so with a showcase coming up I’d use good judgment on how much adjustment you want to make.

[quote=“JP”]Good suggestions on narrowing his stance. I think his head tracks well to the target.

What I’d like to see is the glove stabilize more in front of his chest, or at least within the width of his torso at release rather than off to the side as it does now. Without really counting it seems his misses are high left and low right. IMO with better glove side stabilization he’ll stay “closed” slightly longer and his consistency will improve. This adjustment may take some time to implement so with a showcase coming up I’d use good judgment on how much adjustment you want to make.[/quote]

Thank JP

He had a very good bullpen last night, thanks for all the advice.

He got some bad news today, the showcase was canceled due to lack of players signed up.

Maybe next time.

looks good im with La on this on the start stance I would also get the the shoulders over the knees to me it looks like the weight starts on your heels start a little more balenced.

To tmcgregor’s comment about being on the heels, I think he starts out ok with a good amount of bend in the knees and some at the waist but then he straightens out slightly as he pivots and goes into knee lift and there might be a slight weight shift to the heels.

I’d work want to see this pitcher improve two things: keep the shoulders closed longer and get the hips moving a bit faster.

Delaying shoulder rotation often requires working on the glove side a bit. Other’s comments about stabilizing the glove in front of the body may certainly help. But I think there are two other things that may help. The first is to keep he head upright. As he goes into his stride, his head gradually tilts to the glove side. As goes the head, so goes the spine. And this pulls him to the side and opens him up. The second thing is is to not open up the front leg so soon. Looks like he opens it early and the steps towards home plate which will probably open the hips early possibly opening the shoulder early (think domino effect). Striding with the toes pointed towards 1B longer and opening up into foot plant will likely help keep the shoulders closed longer. Getting the hips moving a bit faster should help with overall timing.

Thanks for the comments guys.

What would start with first the head or the stride?

School ball practice starts on Monday so he will have about two weeks before games begin.

I’d start with the stance. Enough reps so that he comes set with his feet about armpit-to-armpit distance from each other without having to think about it.

We did start working on the stance and he has had a few good bullpens working this in. He is showing more consistency; maybe I should video again so you can see what effect it has had.

That is one thing I love about him, when he is in the mood to work on something he really puts in the work. As most of you dads know they have to be in the mood, there is a time for work and a time for fun. Just have to know your kid.

Do you think his back leg is collapsing too much?

I see his knee is getting out past his toes but I am not sure if that is something that will change on a mound or maybe nothing to worry about at all.

[quote=“munster7”]Thanks for the comments guys.

What would start with first the head or the stride?

School ball practice starts on Monday so he will have about two weeks before games begin.[/quote]
Start with what comes earliest in the delivery because fixing things early in the delivery will often clean up things that come later. Things that happen earlier in the delivery are also easier to instruct as the coach and to alter as the pitcher.

We worked on keeping the foot closed longer tonight, to my suprise this was much harder for him than I thought it would be.

I think it will take a little while to get this one in the muscle memory.

He keeps missing outside to right hander, not much but just off the plate.

It is always hard to change muscle memory, heck he may have done it 1000 times, 20-30 times won’t change it, takes reps and it takes time.