13 year old pitching Analysis

Would appreciate any feedback. Personally I feel his back leg drags a little too long, but I don’t know if that is an issue or not.

1. keep his eyes on his target, not on the ground
  2. collapse on the instep of his pivot (back) foot more
  3. consider the mental picture in his mind of pushing his pitching shoulder into his backstop at release
  4. bend slightly more with his release and keep his head focused towards his backstop.

The back foot drag is actually excellent. It looks to be about 2 of his shoe lengths long and you have to be doing a lot of things right (e.g. generating a lot of momentum) to achieve a drag that long.

What stands out to me is that his release point looks to be about even with his front foot instead of in front of his front foot. I think what’s happening is that he hits his “equal & opposite” position and then starts to swivel his glove over before front foot plant and this leads to early shoulder rotation (you can clearly see the front shoulder start to open when the glove starts to swivel). If he can maintain “equal & opposite” until front foot plant, he will delay shoulder rotation allowing the release point to occur further out in front. This should also improve his hip and shoulder separation and possibly buy him another MPH or two.

I agree with Coach B’s comment 1, about keeping eyes on the target. And I think his comment 3. might be addressed by my suggestions which should result in faster and more forceful shoulder rotation.

So do you think he should delay his hand break to achieve that, or is it more of a strength thing and he just needs to try to hold it more.

I think the hand-break is reasonable. Besides, the breaking of the hands has a lot to do with the way the pitcher balances himself - then commits his drive forward. All in all, the boy looks very confident and solid from where I sit. But then again, Roger is the go-to coach when it comes to mechanics.

I’ll ask the age old question…is he having any issues? His delivery looks pretty smooth. Tweaking around is ok if the kid is having some serious issues (Consistency, gets sore etc.) I’d say he looks top of the heap physically and has a good mound presence. My suggestion is to work on conditioning (He may have a lot of innings in front of him) as he gets stronger, his mechs will need some tweaking to adjust to the strength/speed differences but staying healthy and happy on the mound would be my near term goals as he looks like he might be tearing up leagues at some point…if he isn’t already.

I also agree that this pitcher looks very good. You could say my critique was a bit nit-picky and it was. But that’s because the pitcher does look so good. Still, there’s room to improve.

Holding a position longer will introduce a delay and will feel awkward and will become more difficult to repeat consistently as he fatigues so I would not suggest that. I suppose you could experiment with the hand break. But everything is relative in the pitching delivery and there’s always two ways to look at things. So, in general, I’d rather a pitcher speed up one part of his delivery instead of slow down another part. In this case, I’d suggest the pitcher increase his tempo down the hill rather than attempt to delay hand break… Just my opinion. (BTW, this pitcher does appear to start moving forward early but, with only a so-mo video clip to watch, it’s difficult to judge tempo down the mound).

Hi guys, I appreciate all the info. He only throws low 70’s on the mound, but I think its pretty good considering his size. Another concern I had is I’ve always felt he may be landing too closed. After reading what you guys have said, when he reaches his “equal and opposite” is when I believe he also wants to land his lead foot. But I don’t think his leg has made it all the way around when he does. This is my interpretation of when he reaches that equal point.

So hypothetically, he should either speed up his legs or slow down his upperbody(esstentially his arms) to get around a little more.

I’ve always felt like his hands are beating his legs. I’m going to use Rivera, since I think their initial wind up are somewhat similar. . Granted, the position of the screenshots are arbitrary and each pitcher has unique mechanics, but from what I’ve seen from other clips I usually don’t see the hands advance quicker than the legs.

If it’s that his upper body is too fast, we could try delaying his hands a little more. But going by what roger says, Slowing down may cause more harm than help. So maybe his lower body is advancing to slowly. So if it’s that his leg is taking too long to get there, I wonder if he’s generating enough forward momentum at the start. On the other hand, this could just be a strength issue and he just doesn’t have enough leg power to advance quick enough. Which if that’s the case, maybe we don’t change anything and just hit the gym haha.

I don’t have the experience you guys have, so I might just be talking nonsense or focusing on meaningless minute details. But I’d like to hear your input on this.

The men in the examples that you have here, are mature, physically conditioned professionals. They’re stronger, more in tuned with what they can expect from their bodies, and their tenure in the Minors prior to these pictures being taken says a lot for the repetitive coach and playing experience.

I would suggest giving your boy a bit more time to grow and develop on his own, find his grove - sort of speaking, and let nature take its course.

From where I sit, it doesn’t look as though he has any issues that will promote injuries - shoulder and arm problems. But then again I not privilege to a lot of information relative to you son.

As I mentioned before, and I think what was mention in prior posts, he looks pretty good.

Has your son expressed any concerns about his pitching?