13 Year Old Pitcher

I’d appreciate it if everyone could take a look at my son and share any advice, thoughts or direction. I could only get video from the side, but I did shoot him throwing from the windup and the stretch.

As I mentioned in a previous post, he’s a bit on the small side - 5 feet tall and 87 pounds - so he has to work hard to generate his velocity. If you see anything that would help, I’d appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.

Glove arm. It is just not a part of his delivery, passive is the word I’d use, I like everything else a bunch, he is smooth and all his energy moves towards the target, arm action smooth and flowing…
The concept that power generates from the ground might get a light bulb to flash in his mind. Using the front half to get the back half through is how many of the smaller frame flamethrowers get it done (Think Lincecums stride and the mo to drive out to get over the front leg…he uses the leverage from the ground to pull against that really strong core of his, which gets his arm to release at those speeds…This is a simplistic representation of many different things that happen at once…but the idea it paints in the minds eye is what I want to convey). Using the glove side to stabalize this and direct the energy (Actually it, when the glove turns over from thumb down to thumb up it sets in motion a chain of events that work as aids all the way through to release).
For 13 he seems to be going down the right path though and looks solid…you and he should keep up the good work.

Thanks jdfromfla. As soon as I saw the video I saw the glove side problem. I was pretty surprised as he’s never had an issue with that. The two guys he works with have preached it to him consistently for three years. However, since the season has started, he has only had a couple of chances to work with them and both of those were geared toward workout stuff rather than pitching a bullpen.

I called my son last night (travelling for work this week) and he didn’t believe me either. Once I show him the video, he should make a concerted effort to improve the glove arm action.

I’m glad to hear you like the rest. I always thought that he has a smooth delivery, but it’s good to hear that others agree. How does his stride length look to you? I used to think it might be a bit short, but after watching the video I think it may be about right.

He has a tournament this weekend, so I’m going to try and get some in-game video if possible. Thanks again for the input.

I’m interested in your thoughts on this statement/suggestion. Does it make sense to you?

Nick Able, is a minor league pitcher for the mets currently. He gives some very valuable tips on staying aligned, staying closed and using the legs…

watching a kid throw can be tricky to say if he’s actually doing everything right. Like a pitcher who uses his legs can look like a kid who doesn’t use his legs but how would you be able to recognize that? That’s why if you know what you are doing you teach the kid that because nothing in this game is natural, you have to learn and work at it.

Hope this helps!!

Good Luck!!

jdfromfla, I like the description a lot. I haven’t had a chance to ask my son about it, but I think he would have a pretty good idea of what you were saying as it is similar to how rotational hitting is described.

The concepts are similar (if not the same) as with rotational hitting. The idea there is to rotate your hips around to the point that they pull everything else - shoulders/arms/hand -around a stiff front leg . Done correctly, this can pull the back foot up on the toe - as opposed to “squishing the bug” (and I say that with no intention to denigrate linear style hitting or to start an arguement with anyone reading about the relative merits of the two approaches). Like I said, the two are very similar.

I know he uses his lower half to generate his power - primarily because of the speed he generates but also because of how his mechanics hold up throughout the game - but I agree that he needs some work to “use the front half to get the back half through.” I’ll talk with the two guys that he works with on pitching to get their thoughts as well (one of whom is on the small side and threw in the low 90s in college). I’ve haven’t paid close attention to what they look for specifically on the glove side, but I will now. Unfortunately, it’s going to be awhile as we have a whole slew of games coming up.

tonyjh34, thank for the link. I am always learning and any information is appreciated. I coach hitting and have a pretty decent eye toward helping kids build a good swing. But, with pitching, it’s just not an area that I’ve concentrated on, so I have to go further than my limited knowledge to help my son.

He does seem to have some talent for pitching, he absolutely loves it, and he also has the short memory necessary for success (after one of the few times that he’s been touched up, he went from “I suck” to “Do you think coach Dave will let me pitch again on Tuesday” almost before I could get out of the parking lot.

Thanks again for the input.