12 year old with moderate pain during warm up

My 12-year old son has some moderate pain in the upper/outer portion of his arm about two inches below the bersa ONLY during warm up with his team and warm up at first base. He says it does not hurt while pitching, in the dugout, or at home but only hurts when he actually throws in warm up.

He pitching form seems OK and he has played about 20 games so far and only pitched two innings in a day. He seems to be throwing across his body and lunging with his shoulder vs ‘staying back’ and activating via the legs and hips and letting his shoulder follow during warm up to incluce long toss.

He is still growing at 5’9.5" and 145#. He swam 3-4 days a week and we did long toss twice a week during off season.

Go to the link to see a photo on the mound.

Should I be worried? My plan is to go back to the pitching manual and see if he can be more disciplined in warm up and evaluate after he pitches four innings this week.

Suggestions?

[img] http://mysite.verizon.net/resz076j/

Well I would be concerned that maybe he isn’t strtching and warming up enough prior to throwing. Running, Stretching, Throwing short and the stretching it out to 100-150 feet.

I would also be worried that you are 20 games into the season (seems like a lot) at 2 innings per outing he is already at 40 innings or so and at 15 pitches per inning he is already 600 game time pitches, seems to really be up there especially since AMA suggests 1000 pitches per season max and 3000 per year max.

I think there is a newer article from the AMA with additional recomendations especially on curve balls etc but here is the original article from 2008.

http://www.arsportsmedicine.com/pdf/Prevention%20of%20Arm%20Injury%20in%20Youth%20Baseball%20Pitchers.pdf

Thank you. I will focus on getting him warmed up PRIOR to throwing and possibly letting him warm up from the stretch only so as to force better (for him) form.

He has NOT pitched two innings PER game but only pitching two innings at a time for instance he played four games this weekend and only pitched two innings on Saturday so I am not too worried that he has pitched too much.

Thanks again.

Richter, you have hit on a very important point. You say that he seems to be throwing across his body—that’s not an issue, because a lot of sidearmers do that—but lunging with his shoulder instead of staying back and activating via his legs and hips—which very definitely is an issue. A lot of injuries are due to pitchers’ throwing with just the shoulder and the arm when what they should be doing is getting the whole body into the action. They should be driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and seamless) motion, so that there is an uninterrupted energy flow through the body to the shoulder and the arm. Pitchers who do this not only generate more power behind their pitches but also take a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder, so they can throw harder and faster with less effort.
I call this “The Secret”, and this is the real key to a pitcher’s power. I learned it a long time ago from watching how the Yankees’ legendary Big Three pitchers did this, and I picked up on it and worked on it on my own. I was not a fireballer by any stretch of the imagination, and when I recognized this I went in the other direction and became a snake- jazzer—and a very good one—and mastering this essential element of good mechanics enabled me to throw harder with less effort. And not a sore arm or a sore elbow or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else in the bunch!
A good place to start is with something called the “Hershiser drill”, which focuses on getting the hips fully involved. Doing this helps with the coordination of the lower and upper halves of the body. You can find this and other such drills and exercises on this and the NPA websites; you 'll find them very useful. and here’s an interesting point: my wise and wonderful pitching coach—a member of that Big Three rotation—told me that batters, usually creatures of habit, get into the batter’s box and focus on the pitcher’s upper body—the arm and the shoulder—looking for pitches they can hit and completely overlook the lower half, which as I said earlier is the real key to a pitcher’s power. If the kid learns to use his whole body in pitching he will avoid a lot of problems. 8) :slight_smile:

What you didn’t say is what percentage he’s at when he"s throwing. There’s a kid on our team who’s arm hurts every time he picks a ball up. That’s because he’s trying to keep up with some of the other kid and throwing it with everything he’s got every time he throws.

My kid has been taught to throw at the 80-90 percent range. He very, very rarely complains, and when he does, no matter where we are, he’s done.

You hear about how many pitches, what kind, ect, but almost never at what level. I’d rather my son throw 80 pitches at 80%, than 10 at 100.

Funny thing to, when you put a gun on most kids, they throw harder at 80-85 percent than at 100. If it’s more it’s only 2-3 mph usually, and like our pitching coach points out, most batters at this age can’t tell the difference.