12 year old throwing in the dirt

Our league won’t start practices until this weekend, but I already know from our evaluations that I just drafted a 12 year old who has got a pretty strong arm, but regularly throws in the dirt, allowing base runners to get in scoring position.

Can anyone suggest any remedies for a pitcher at that age who consistently misses low? Is it just a matter of concentration and control? I realize this may be a tough question to answer without seeing him throw, but thought you might have some ideas as to what I should be looking for.

I also noticed that his throws were low when we put him at 3rd and had him make a play to 1st. Same thing. Lots of balls in the dirt.

Regards,
Coach Dave

[quote=“Supafly”]Our league won’t start practices until this weekend, but I already know from our evaluations that I just drafted a 12 year old who has got a pretty strong arm, but regularly throws in the dirt, allowing base runners to get in scoring position.

Can anyone suggest any remedies for a pitcher at that age who consistently misses low? Is it just a matter of concentration and control? I realize this may be a tough question to answer without seeing him throw, but thought you might have some ideas as to what I should be looking for.

I also noticed that his throws were low when we put him at 3rd and had him make a play to 1st. Same thing. Lots of balls in the dirt.

Regards,
Coach Dave[/quote]
It sounds like a mechanical issue that we would most likely need to see. Do you have any video?

I had the opposite issue, in high school as a 3rd baseman I overthrew a lot. It had to do with me over thinking about throwing to first. Is he better on the close plays then the easier balls right to him?

What direction does the ball spin? My son had a similar problem. His every third pitch hit short and in the dirt. Once his coach made sure his thumb was directly underneath the ball it stopped.

My son has similar issues, also 12. His seem to have been brought on by also catching, recently stopped catching. Pitching instructor had him do a drill I had never seen before that has really helped. Had him stand far enough behind pitchers mound so that front foot would land on incline of back of mound. He would have him go out of stretch and throw with front foot on incline. His problem seemed to be rushing through and getting out front, drill makes him stay back.

One possibility is that he’s gripping the ball too tightly, as if he were trying to squeeze the juice out of it. I always tell pitchers who are learning the palm ball, for example, to hold the ball well back in the palm of the hand (hence the name), but not to grip it too tightly, or else the ball will just squirt ouf the hand and drop to the ground with a resounding plop. If he loosens up on the grip just a little, it will help. :slight_smile:

Good questions. I won’t know until we begin practices. I just saw him during evaluations (tryouts). It may be nerves, but one of the other coaches mentioned to me that he had the player last year and he was doing the same thing. Will know more in a week or two.

Thanks.