12 year old speed

I am 12 years old almost 13 and throw around 52-53mph i am 5’6.5
is this a normal speed?

http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/youth_pitching_speed.htm

Take care,
Al

A rule of thumb is that “Age x 5” will put you in the top 10% of your age group. Thus, a 12-year-old throwing 60 (12 x 5) would be in the top 10% of 12-year-olds.

Another rule of thumb: “Age x 6” is gas. You’ll see this in the Little League World Series, where the fastest pitchers reach 72 mph (12 x 6 = 72).

Around here there are quite a few 11’s hitting 59-62ish. But we face no small amount of teams where it seems the pitchers have trouble breaking 50.

Another issue, of course, is the accuracy (or not) of the gun readings. They are infamously inaccurate, especially at the youth baseball level.

im going into 13u i hit my highest at 69mph unofficially clocked but thats what my coaches say it was i started throwing that hard this year ive never thrown hard b4 this past season i was 12

i know it wsnt 60 is was throwing but not like 40 so i think it was around 50

IMHO, ball location and movement is more important than a straight high-velocity fastball.

My 10 year old throws what is considered heat (60+) for his age. He can go two innings on a 35 pitch limit, and his line looks like this: 5 K’s, 2 walks, 0 hits, 0 runs. He leaves after two innings with a 7 - 0 lead. Another kid, who throws about 45 mph on his FB and has excellent location and ball movement, on the same team, goes 5 innings on the same 35 pitch limit. His line looks like this: 0 K’s, 2 walks, 5 hits, 2 runs.

Which pitcher was better?

Which game did we win?

Which one ended up as a loss?

We loss the game my son started, 'cause the relievers had four innings to blow the lead. We won the 2nd game. The relievers only had to get three outs to save the game.

The point of this story is you can have succes as you’re building up arm speed by focusing on location and movement.

I think that if there is one thing ive learned since i stumbled upon this forum a year ago or so it is that for a pitcher, everything stems from having good mechanics. Velocity, location, health, everything. If you focus on improving your mechanics (i would bet that there no more than a handful of pitchers in the 7-13 age group in the world who have a delivery that couldnt be improved in some way) and the rest will follow.

And i agree with shoshonte, location, changing speeds, and/or having movement on your pitches are all more important than throwing fast. Good hitters will hit gas, if thats all they see. Every kid on my son’s 10U team can do that. Pitching isnt always about overpowering the hitter. Just watch Tim Wakefield when he is going good. Guy has a 75 MPH fastball, and has won almost 200 games in the Major Leagues.