12 Year Old Son's Mechanics - new to pitching

I’ve been reading through this forum for the past couple of months and I can see there is a wealth of knowledge and good advice here. I finally decided to record my son’s pitching in hopes of getting some constructive feedback. First, a little history - he has been playing rec ball for the past 6 years or so. Last year he was asked to pitch in a few games and was bit by the “bug.” This year, he is on a Spring League that starts this weekend and will be playing in another league in the summer. He is pretty accurate most of the time. Last week in a scrimmage he pitched 2 innings: walked 3, struck out 6, no hits. Definitely a highlight for him. However, I know if his mechanics were better, he’d be able to pitch well, more consistently. He is 5’8" and 130 lbs. His fastballs are 52-54 MPH and his changeup is about 48 MPH. These seem slow to me for his size, I’m guessing because his mechanics are off. I don’t think the speed is really too much of an issue - I like that his accuracy is pretty good, but I know mechanics will not only help speed, but his consistency. Here is what I notice when I watch him: He doesn’t push off the rubber, his hips and shoulders turn at same time, and his finish looks wrong. (not in a fielding position) We can work on these, but would like some feedback - also, I’m thinking of a few coaching sessions ($$) for him before the summer league to help him get ready - what are your thoughts on this? Please let me know how ‘off’ he is, but also if he’s doing anything right, I don’t want to go to him and give him all things he has to work on. (and dont want to change anything he is doing correctly) (please be gentle, haha) Thanks for your input.

I’d agree about an instructor, I’d also look to exand his athleticism, I like the martial arts for his age range because it teaches discipline, entire body coodination, focuses on form and focused application of power…all pretty darn good tools to have in the belt of any pitcher.

Another possible route is to look in your area for colleges/universities which offer summer camps/clinics. I’ve found that the more you associate a kid around folks who are very comfortable playing at a very high level, the more the kid will emulate those hi-level physical moves and it will get him competing at his highest level, quicker. A tremendous by-product of this is, if you stay and watch, you can learn the coaching techniques and approaches that are used at that level, almost worth more for that than the camps value for the kid. Having those skills is your best weapon…along with what you are doing here (Educating yourself).