12 year old son looking for input-udated 10/14

Looking for any recommendations. You’ve always been very helpful. My son is moving from 50 ft to 60 ft this coming year. He had a good past season. Not overpowering, but threw lots of strikes. Low to mid 50’s, change up and mixed in a curveball at times. He also plays 3b and I don’t see the the same velocity on the mound as he does throwing it across the diamond. I am posting 2 videos, the first is the wind up he’s been using and the second is one I have had him working on. Earlier this year year a few people were not huge fans of him bringing his hands up over his head. Let me know what you think and always, it’s greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niPRHVuDbS8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41DmPSGlf6o

Also any work outs that may be recommended. He does push ups and sit ups. Loves baseball and wants to be the best.

I would definitely work on a longer stride to the plate, right now it looks to be about 60% of his height, getting this to 75% or 85% would help with velocity and getting closer to the plate will help with accuracy also.

I am a little surprised he is moving from 50 feet to 60 right away, most areas including USSSA goes to a 54 foot distance for a year or 2 prior to the 60’ distance at 14 usually. Are you having him play up?

Where we live they play Babe Ruth, 13-15 year olds. True with when he plays USSSA, it will be 54. He’s a young 13 to, not til the end of March

[quote=“buwhite”]I would definitely work on a longer stride to the plate, right now it looks to be about 60% of his height, getting this to 75% or 85% would help with velocity and getting closer to the plate will help with accuracy also.

I am a little surprised he is moving from 50 feet to 60 right away, most areas including USSSA goes to a 54 foot distance for a year or 2 prior to the 60’ distance at 14 usually. Are you having him play up?[/quote]

Yep this person knows what he’s talking about. Try to get your son to move more towards the plate without losing balance or force it. It should be nice and smooth. However this is for velocity which I don’t aim for but when I do I get some speed on my pitches.

Another thing I like to add is that he’s not doing hip shoulder separation where as the hips turn the shoulders don’t until the foot plants where his hips should be facing home plate but his shoulders isn’t yet or have some turn then his shoulder begins to turn fully which creates torque aka velocity on his pitches. But like most things it takes practice. Should of seen me doing it pitches going over the fence and fences were 12 feet tall. But I got control and now throw down and inside to batters.

And to add I saw the first video and his arm was really up above his shoulders. Now I"m no doctor but that could hurt him. The one your teaching him is perfect but make sure it’s consistent and not going off. In case the ball goes back to him he needs to be ready for the ball. And to add one more thing he’s really good in the mechanics your teaching him except for that last part where he delays a bit before throwing the ball. Seems forced. Then again practice makes perfect.

I really appreciate the feedback. I am posting new clips. Please let me know what you think.

Videos are all short

Moving from up from 50 to 60 ft is a big step. We went from LL distance of 46 to Midgets of 55 this fall, and most of the pitchers struggled with getting their strikes up in the zone. We have about eight kids (mostly travel ball kids) making the transition this fall, and the kids that dominated at 46/50 ft struggled at 55. Many pitches in the dirt. Breaking pitches seemed to break earlier, although they really didn’t. Strike % ranged from high 40s % to low 50s % on the average. My son’s last game he was at 62% and feeling more comfortable about the distance.

For my son, the struggle was getting used to new catchers, getting his balls up so they wouldn’t be below the knees, and figuring out how to control the “tail.” A strike at the knees at 46/50 is a ball at 55.

Hitting and fielding are also a huge transition. It’s a long throw from short or third to 1st, and even longer for the catcher to 2nd. Again, 12 yo moving up had a hard time getting their throws accurately and on liine to 1st. The kid with the strongest arm plays 3rd. The weaker arm plays 2nd. Lots of 2nd basemen; few at 3rd.

Also, a 250’ home run at 46/50 is an easy fly out! Do this three times in a game and the stat line read zero hits. The kid who hit two slow infield rollers gets two hits and the 250’ fly ball is an out. And 300’ (no fences and thick grass) is only a double!

Needless to say, most of the kids making the transition has struggled to enjoy the success they had at 46/50.

Yes, it’s a huge jump. 3rd go around at it. My oldest was never a power hutter, but used his speed to his advantage. My 16 year old struggled the most. He was one of those that could hit the ball out of the park at 12, then those became flyouts at 13. Now Kyle is a third basemen primarily and he’s doing well so far on the throws. It’s teaching him how to play the position better. Reading the hops, charging the ball and the throws are coming along. Thanks for the insight.

We have been working on the stride. Has gained about 3 mph in last couple weeks. Here’s updated video

Thanks

Any thoughts on recent video ?

there is no hip shoulder separation. He is stepping and throwing at the same time. He should also get rid of a full wind up. Work from the stride. He still has a lot of work to do for his mechanics.

Not fully understanding what you mean by hip shoulder separation ? What’s wrong with the wind up ? He does work from the stretch with runners on. Just curious ? Thanks

hip shoulder separation = when the glove foot steps down, the hip is opening and starting to face home. But the shoulder is closed facing 3rd at this time. Then the shoulder unwinds and throws.

Pitching from the stretch gives less steps for the boy to learn. It also helps keep the head still.

Thanks. Worked on it today. Control/timing was off. But added a little velocity. Will post a video in a week or so and see what you think.