12 year old mechanics -- Please comment!

The following links show side and back views of my son’s pitching. I would appreciate your comments on areas to improve.

I can’t access the videos - it says they are private.

Sorry — they are now public. Please try it again.

I would try a higher leg kick for better balance.

In the second video there seems to be a pause in his motion (between balance posture and hand break) rather than one continuous fluid delivery.

I’m with Papibon about the hesitations. Ditch the balance point idea which has dominated this pitcher’s mechanics. Get his centre of gravity moving sooner, sideways, just at or before the apex of his knee lift. Don’t get him reaching back with the ball and pausing there. It needs to be smooth and continuous.

Get him some cleats. There’s a slide happening there when the front foot lands.

He has a distinct imbalance during the stride where he has lateral movement of his c.o.g. to the right. This hints at a lack of toward the plate momentum combined with a lack of rotation of the right hip around the left one.

When he lands, his foot might be a little too closed off.

Lastly, his glove drops immediately to his waist. He’s a victim of one of my pet peeves. The dreaded “point your glove at the target” cue!! He extends it out there, as his throwing arm goes back, and that weight, way out there at the end of the arm, just wants to drop. Go to the video library part of this site and study how the pros deal with the glove arm (focus on the elbow) and how they do not pause and reach back with the throwing arm.

I agree with the others’ comments about getting rid of the pause at the beginning of the stride (visible in the rear view clip). As dm59 said, your son should be getting the hips going sooner and faster while leading with the hip longer into the stride instead of with the front foot. Don’t sacrifice the knee lift - force the leg to be quicker getting from apex of knee lift to foot plant.

I also agree that your son drops his glove too soon. The glove needs to be out front when the front foot plants in order to provide proper timing for shoulder rotation. This is not to say that he needs to hold the glove there for any length of time. It just needs to pass through that point when the front foot plants. As it is now, the glove vacates that position early which leads to his shoulders rotating early. He gets very little hip and shoulder separation.

As the shoulders rotate, the glove should turn over, the glove-side elbow should tuck down to the torso, and the glove arm should stabilize to create a stable base for the throwing arm to throw against. The chest should move to the glove (as opposed to pulling the glove back).