11u pitching

Getting ready for 11/12U season, he’s looking pretty good to me. But appreciate any advice.

I like the bent knees and waist in his set position. But, from that point forward, he stands up and his head moves back towards 1B. When the weight of his upper half moves towards 1B while he’s trying to move towards home plate, his center of mass can end up moving somewhere in between. And that can lead to other issues. Have him try to keep his head from moving in any direction other than towards home plate.

Also, while tough to tell from the camera angle, it looks like he is late in initiating movement towards home plate.

I’ll try to load a side shot and one from behind.

TriC1
I also see what Roger sees. Take a look at the pic below and you can see how your sons head leans way over to the first base side. This is a posture issue. Pitcher’s trunks should remain upright with a slight forward lean positioning their chin out over their belt buckle. Pitchers should remain in their driveline in order to stay balanced upon landing.

Things to look for - make sure he is landing with his nose positioned over his bellybutton which is his center of gravity. The question is why and how did he get into a poor posture position. Take a look at his back leg. After landing the back foot should peel away from the ground using the middle of the foot so that the toe is the only part in contact with the ground. The reason this happens is because your son does not complete rotation of the lower half.

Sometimes you have to work backwards viewing video to see the cause and effect. I believe working on his lower half mechanics, he should be able to clean up his posture issues. Take a look at his video in slo mo and you can see that after hand break his back drive foot knee drifts over his back foot. This movement created is called being a quad dominate pitcher. We want pitchers to be more glute dominate pitchers. By this I mean, pitchers have to learn how to use their glutes correctly and that all starts with the back foot. This movement helps pitchers drive and sit into their delivery. Below is a picture of a youth pitcher sitting into his delivery and remaining in his driveline

LTP%2011u%20Posture%20IssuesDriveline%20at%20Landing

Youth%20Pitcher%20Sitting%20Into%20Delivery

Hope this helps
Steve

Here is a side shot, lighting not very good.

Those are all good points. When he picks his leg up, his momentum should only be as straight towards home plate as possible. That’s the goal. Having said that, I’m a believer in letting the natural tendencies of a pitcher play out. There are plenty of MLB pitchers withiuot “perfect” mechanics.

He starts off with a good front leg, but the hips/core lag this forward momentum. He ends up having a shortened front leg plant. As a result,since he is young, he is looking to get velocity by rising and pulling off to first base.thinking he is whipping the arm through. His upper body should follow over the front leg if he is powering through the motion.

Lastly, given that he is 11yo, I would say he is trying to be to deliberate with his motion. He can speed up a bit to make sure he builds the proper momentum at his age. It’s harder to speed someone up than it is to slow them down. Get him to be aggressive on the mound, not passive. Don’t worry about strikes right now; they’ll come as a consequence of good mechanics. Let him throw hard, don’t baby him. Challenge him.

Much longer stride and emphasize throwing the ball hard. Get him to really let it go by using his whole body. It looks like there is very little effort. Good luck!

I guess I’m going to be in the minority. But I believe he is yanking his head to create power because he is bent over to start. He looks like he’s going to throw submarine. It’s probably good he straightens up. Being bent like that can keep his rear hip from coming through and transferring the energy to his trunk so he has to over rotate his upper half to generate power. He eventually bends that trunk the other way but too much. Get his trunk more up-right to start and make sure he uses it toward home plate and get more bend and extension at follow through. At ball release his hand should be out just beyond his front foot and you should be able to draw a straight line from his hand through his head, butt and down to his back ankle. He’s really tall at pitch release.

Just to give you one more slightly differing opinion :slight_smile:

Here’s what I see from that side view. Everything looks pretty good right up until front foot plant. As soon as the front foot hits his arm is already coming forward. The is no time for his back hip to fully open and therefore, the upper body has to lean to the side in order for his shoulders and arm to come through. I would tell a student to think “foot plant, hip drive, throw.” and have him work through that slowly until it becomes more natural to delay his upper body until the lower body can complete it’s mission.