11 yo pitching clips

Been a while since I took some video of my 11 year old. Over-all he’s had a solid year pitching, been pretty consistent with his strike zone, few walks, and decent speed.

I still think there’s some room for improvement with his velocity and I’d like to see him with better follow through and more explosiveness.

After viewing the clips I noticed some things and started working with him some more over the last week.

His hand break has gotten higher (typically has been more near his waist), and at times he seems to be leaning back or towards 1st base some and seems to lose some momentum. It seems his higher hand break gets his glove hand started way up high, and he ends up pretty tilted at release. Also have worked with him more on tucking his glove in rather than letting it swing outside his glove side leg.

Some things I’ve told him as result of watching this…

Hand break at waist

lead with hip, long stride, toe towards 3rd until foot plant

pretend you’re throwing down hill, stay on top of the ball

reach for the catchers glove and follow through

let upper body move into glove, keep it tucked at chest

Any other thoughts or comments? Am I on the right track?

pre-game

game1

Those are all good things to focus on except maybe the arm extension thing. Get the rest of the mechanics and timing right and the arm will take care of itself.

What I noticed is a lack of front side stability. At foot plant the glove is already dropping and from there it just swings down and back. This contributes to the lean toward 1B. Inappropriate posture changes pull the release point back and maybe that why you feel he needs to work on extension. In the first video, his stride foot has a tendency to rotate out toward the glove side which is done to support the body’s weight which is moving that direction a bit due, most likely, to the posture issue.

I suggest having him work on keeping the glove out in front, turning it over and tucking the elbow down under the arm pit as the shoulders rotate, and then bringing the chest to the glove.

This will also help him defend himself - especially his face - against a come-backer.

Yes, have him work on tucking his glove, this should keep him closed more as well. And is that usual for him to not have a mound? Because if not, some of the things you see might be temporary due to the situation

[quote=“Roger”]Those are all good things to focus on except maybe the arm extension thing. Get the rest of the mechanics and timing right and the arm will take care of itself.

What I noticed is a lack of front side stability. At foot plant the glove is already dropping and from there it just swings down and back. This contributes to the lean toward 1B. Inappropriate posture changes pull the release point back and maybe that why you feel he needs to work on extension. In the first video, his stride foot has a tendency to rotate out toward the glove side which is done to support the body’s weight which is moving that direction a bit due, most likely, to the posture issue.

I suggest having him work on keeping the glove out in front, turning it over and tucking the elbow down under the arm pit as the shoulders rotate, and then bringing the chest to the glove.

This will also help him defend himself - especially his face - against a come-backer.[/quote]

Thanks Roger. We’ve worked quite a bit on the glove over the last 2 weeks. It’s starting to become 2nd nature now. I didn’t pick up his glove side foot spinning towards first, but like you said it’s probably due his glove bringing him toward that side. Do you think keeping the glove/ elbow out front at foot plant should help gain some seperation? In most of his pitches I’ve veiwed I see his hips and shoulders turning pretty much at the same time.

I think his lean is more pronounced in the pre-game clips… the game clips don’t look as bad. If you look at his 1st pitch from his pre-game, I see a pretty pronounced lean back… do you think that is still a glove side arm issue, or something else with his posture causing that.

Are there other posture changes that you think need work that are affecting his release point?

I’ll try to get some updated clips up here within the next day or so since he’s made some changes.

Unfortunately he doesn’t get much time throwing off a mound. Although as you point out I’d like to see how it may affect things. Hopefully he’ll get a chance during some away games with all-stars.

Yes. Separation takes some time. Keeping the glove out front longer allows the shoulders to stay closed longer and that allows for some separation. Have him try to get the glove out front at foot plant. If it gets there but leaves that position before foot plant, it steals time from the shoulders.

The amount of separation one gets is dependent on their flexibility. But all pitchers should be able to get some separation. If not, it’s likely a timing problem caused by the glove arm or by an inappropriate posture change (or both).

[quote]I think his lean is more pronounced in the pre-game clips… the game clips don’t look as bad. If you look at his 1st pitch from his pre-game, I see a pretty pronounced lean back… do you think that is still a glove side arm issue, or something else with his posture causing that.

Are there other posture changes that you think need work that are affecting his release point?[/quote]
I agree the lean is more pronounced in the pregame clip. Your son extends he arms like Andy Pettitte - glove arm up high in front and throwing arm down low in back. This aligns the shoulders uphill and can certainly lead to a posture issue. You can have him try keeping his glove lower. But I wouldn’t mess with his throwing arm. See if adjusting the glove automatically adjusts the throwing arm. If so, good. If not, I probably wouldn’t mess with the arms further.