11 YO Lefty, Slow Mo vid, look for opinions

I posted this video up over in the Injuries & prevention forum however I also wanted to post it here to get some opinions on mechanics. The sound is a bit funky in slow mo but the noise you hear at the end of each pitch is the ball hitting a bucket 2’ behind the plate. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice.

Here it is at regular speed, oh and he is at 70’.

personally i’d have him speed up the delivery cuz his normal speed isnt much faster than the slo-mo. this will increase his velocity otherwise its pretty sound for a 11 yr old.

not entirely true. take johnny pap for instance, he goes thru a very slow motion yet still throws in the mid-high 90’s

many, many power pitchers have a slow delivery

if this is how he feels comfortable i see no need in changing the speed of his delivery

however, you do need to address the striding open - its most likely his lower half isnt strong enough to stay in line with the plate

Thanks guys. I will certainly look at the open stride issue. I would also like to speed up his del. but only once he reaches the top of his windup. As Roger mentioned getting his mass body moving quicker towards the target could generate more force and will help him increase his stride and possibly improve his timing with shoulder rotation.

Please keep the advice comming, thanks.

I am no expert but I see a couple of things.

When he takes his rocker step he has an extra step in there when he gets to the balance point. It also looks to me like he is rotating his shoulders and hips at the sametime.

[quote=“munster7”]I am no expert but I see a couple of things.

When he takes his rocker step he has an extra step in there when he gets to the balance point. It also looks to me like he is rotating his shoulders and hips at the sametime.[/quote]

Thanks for your input. The “extra step” you mention is a tap step he was taught mostly for rythm. I agree he needs to keep his shoulders in there a bit longer. I am hoping faster body movement once he gets to the top of his windup helps with that. He is due to pitch in a live game tonight so I do not plan on asking him to try anything new just yet.

I might be wrong but I think that extra step might be considered illegal in most leagues.

Hasn’t been an issue anywhere he has pitched including Cal Ripken, SATB, ECTB or even last night night.

Maybe if he’s pitching from the stretch.

Hose