11 Year Old Pitcher

Here is my 11 year old warming up before pitching in a fall ball league. He is in the outfield warming up. We pitch flat here for all ages. Any feedback is appreciated.

Great clip of your son. I’m sure you are very proud of him.

Pitching, in my opinion, is all about getting to the front side on the delivery. he seems to be standing straight up through his mechanics, especially when he releases the ball. His mechanics look great at such a young age. A few pitching lessons with a qualified instructor should help him get to his front side to better leverage his legs. He looks to be all arm in the video.

I wish you and your son the best. Remember, this game is fun and all about the kids.

Alex
www.coachposting.com

[quote=“coachposting”]Great clip of your son. I’m sure you are very proud of him.

Pitching, in my opinion, is all about getting to the front side on the delivery. he seems to be standing straight up through his mechanics, especially when he releases the ball. His mechanics look great at such a young age. A few pitching lessons with a qualified instructor should help him get to his front side to better leverage his legs. He looks to be all arm in the video.

I wish you and your son the best. Remember, this game is fun and all about the kids.

Alex
www.coachposting.com[/quote]

Good points. Make him use more of his body and less of his arms. There should be chemistry between and arms to get the right mechanics.

And therein lies “The Secret”.
I learned it many, many moons ago, when I used to go to Yankee Stadium every chance I got and would sit in the upper deck and watch the pitchers. I saw that the Yankees’ Big Three rotation were doing this and how they were doing it: they were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, creating a nonstop flow of energy all the way up through the shoulders and arms to the fingertips—they were all generating more power behind their pitches and thus throwing harder and faster with less energy, and in the process they were taking a lot of pressure off those extremities. I saw this, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own, and as I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I found that I was doing the same thing those three pitchers were doing. And because I was a natural, honest-to-gosh sidearmer I found it much easier going.
The whole idea behind “The Secret” is to get the whole body into the action and not just throw with the arm. So the kid needs to work on this, and one of the best ways to get started on it is the so-called “Hershiser” drill which aims at getting the hips fully involved. It requires no special equipment, just a fence or a wall, and it will pay off in the long run. Also, the kid needs to do a lot of throwing—not pitching, just throwing, about 20 to 30 minutes a day, preferably with a good catcher; this is the best way to keep the arm loose and flexible. Something to think about. 8) :baseballpitcher:

Yep, I’m with Zita again. The kid needs to learn “The Secret”. I also agree that the Hershiser drill is a good place to start. This will help him get his lower body going toward home, leading with his hip.