11 year old, new to pitching, needs advice.....please ; )

Quick question guys. My son’s coach said that this may be an illegal pitch (see video).

Unfortunately I cut off his first step a little bit in the video. But what is the rule for starting out on the rubber. Does the back foot have to be on it when the pitch starts? Can he step over the rubber and into the bucket? Or does his foot need to be on the rubber and then step sideways into the bucket?

Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks!

zen,

The post foot must be in contact with the rubber at the start of the delivery.

It would be best to have your son to begin from the stretch position and then progress to the windup after he has stabilized his delivery somewhat.

I believe there is a sequence in pitching that is much like what you describe in judo. When delivery elements are timed properly the velocity can be optimized with less than expected effort.

With reference to arm safety the timing of shoulder rotation appears to have the most impact.

You can find a pretty good summary by googleing:

Baseball throwing mechanics as they relate to pathology and
performance – A review Rod Whiteley

Concerning postural stability you might try:

Influence of Shoulder Abduction and Lateral Trunk Tilt on
Peak Elbow Varus Torque for College Baseball Pitchers
During Simulated Pitching-Matsuo, Fleisig

I believe your son should take the ball out of the glove with his hand more to the side (thumb towards his thigh palm towards first) to help put him in a better position for scapular loading.

Best of luck,

Ted

Thank you Ted. A most informative response. It’s not looking good for my son to be pitching this year. I can’t deny, I am sort of relieved and yet disappointed at the same time. He’ll probably get a few shots at pitching, but no doubt, there are 4-5 kids that are dialed in. This takes a lot of pressure off and now we can do this right and not have to rush.

Gotta always look at the bright side.

What’s the Yogism again? You learn a lot from losing, you just don’t want to learn too much. ; )

edit: The post foot must be in contact with the rubber at the start of the delivery.

Noted.

It would be best to have your son to begin from the stretch position and then progress to the windup after he has stabilized his delivery somewhat.

Sounds like a plan.

I believe there is a sequence in pitching that is much like what you describe in judo. When delivery elements are timed properly the velocity can be optimized with less than expected effort.

I believe this is the case for many sports. I view good pitchers movement as swift, smooth and fast with precision and little effort, they seemed relaxed, yet powerful to me. Not muscle bound weight lifter types trying to power the ball. More like a swift deer or antelope. I remember reading an article about Steven Strasberg and how he went from a burger eating chubber with his coach suggesting he quit to a healthy eating yoga practitioner. Strasberg sited diet and yoga as his turning point. I personally believe the yoga not only helped to get him more flexible and in touch with his body, but also helped him learn how to calm his mind and relax. So yes you can can drill proper optimized movement into the body, but inmho it’s equally important to have the mind centered and in tip top shape as well.

With reference to arm safety the timing of shoulder rotation appears to have the most impact.

You can find a pretty good summary by googleing:

Baseball throwing mechanics as they relate to pathology and
performance – A review Rod Whiteley

Thank you

Concerning postural stability you might try:

Influence of Shoulder Abduction and Lateral Trunk Tilt on
Peak Elbow Varus Torque for College Baseball Pitchers
During Simulated Pitching-Matsuo, Fleisig

Again great stuff, thank you

I believe your son should take the ball out of the glove with his hand more to the side (thumb towards his thigh palm towards first) to help put him in a better position for scapular loading.

Sorry for my terminology… So when his arms are fully stretched out/extended, before he move the arm forward…
“thumb towards his thigh, palm towards first”?

Again Thank you Ted for all your concise advice.

It may indeed be a very big blessing to not pitch competitively until he is more polished and older. I hope he is not too disappointed.

If you can find some video of Clemens you will be able to see what I feel is the most relaxed position for the hand to be in during the pitching arm take away. You can also see how easy it is for him to move into horizontal scap load with this type of arm action. Oleary had a pretty nice flip book of Clemens at one point. It might still be there.

In contrast your son gets his hand under the ball pretty quickly which is a less productive position, but not uncommon in youth players. I would not try to force him into an exact duplicate of anyone but would cue him to get his hand in a more productive position.

Good luck,

Ted