11 Year Old Mechanics

Hi All,

I coach a 11U team; I took video of all of the kids pitching and was looking to get some help w/the analysis of their mechanics… I’ll post one by one; the first is one of my twins.

Thanks in advance!

“Sort Of” Side

Front

Here’s my analysis; please add any comments you see fit:
Knee lift:
Pretty well balanced, elbows relaxed, showing back pocket, could start getting some momentum towards catcher as he is at the top of his knee lift.

Bottom Of Arm Circle:
Strides stays down/out; no sign of swinging the gate, stays sideways, good dynamic balance, arm doesn’t completely come down - I notice a lot of MLB’ers dropping that arm straight down; is that important?

Foot Touch:
Good stride distance, good stride line,shoulders still closed, hips opened slightly - could be opening more

Foot Plant:
Lands on good bent knee, shoulders stay pretty closed, hips rotate slightly - could be rotating more into landing, PA up in high cocked position w/elbow in good position.

External Rotation:
Hard to see on side view but gets decent external rotation of the arm, knee fairly bent, nose close to over knee, head starting to fall off to side slightly; maybe due to front shoulder pulling open, hips starting to pull backside foot off rubber, doing a good job of keeping GS arm quiet and over post leg.

Release:
Can’t see release on side view, but seems to be about at front foot - could get a little more out front of his foot, fairly bent knee, head coming a little more off to the side

Extension:
Descent extension, seems he could get more bend forward and extension should be more to the target; rather than across - somewhat due to the head coming off target.

Finish:
Descent finish, starts finishing down but ends he deceleration - could finish more around his post leg, could flatter w/the back

I will only comment on one thing when the arm is in the L position it should be at on below the shoulder . Eric is a bit high it looks . You will be engaging small scap muscles when you scap load. Your video is outstanding.

Thanks for the response Titans!

It does appear high, but is it relative to his shoulder angle? He maybe should be keeping shoulders more level at this point?

Here is a picture that I drew dots on his shoulders and connected them - his elbow is below… but his shoulders are slanted somewhat downward at this point.

The shoulders should be on an angle at this point. The more you lead with your hips the more angle you will have, The elbow should drop on its own. If I didn’t do it with my son and seen this with my own video I would not have believed it.

What is the software package you are using?

The most telling picture in this sequence, in my opinion, is the fifth one down - foot touch:

Notice how Beckett’s throwing arm is positioned so that his hand and elbow are just about at shoulder height? The youth pitcher is already in the high cocked position at this point in the delivery. What that means is that his arm is just hanging up there and waiting for his body to catch up; this can be due to a number of things - 1. poor arm action (rushing the throw by using a short arm swing); 2. not enough momentum generated to the plate; 3. early hand break. This is probably the most common flaw in youth pitchers.

At this point in the delivery, most high level pitchers will look like Beckett - his body is on full stretch. Look at his back foot - see how his foot is fully extended and turned down? He has achieved full back leg extension before touchdown and he has gotten low and long - beautiful!

It is called RVP - Right View Pro; it’s pretty slick, great for hitting as well…

[quote=“structuredoc”]The most telling picture in this sequence, in my opinion, is the fifth one down - foot touch:

Notice how Beckett’s throwing arm is positioned so that his hand and elbow are just about at shoulder height? The youth pitcher is already in the high cocked position at this point in the delivery. What that means is that his arm is just hanging up there and waiting for his body to catch up; this can be due to a number of things - 1. poor arm action (rushing the throw by using a short arm swing); 2. not enough momentum generated to the plate; 3. early hand break. This is probably the most common flaw in youth pitchers.

At this point in the delivery, most high level pitchers will look like Beckett - his body is on full stretch. Look at his back foot - see how his foot is fully extended and turned down? He has achieved full back leg extension before touchdown and he has gotten low and long - beautiful![/quote]

Thanks for your input StructureDoc!

He does have somewhat of a short arm swing; it seems he drops it to about waist high; then back up - I can try having him drop straight down, then up.

On the hand break, where do you suggest he breaks? He appears to break when his leg starts downward - I could also have him break more at his belly button.

Here’s a pick of where he and Beckett break:

Yes, break by the belly button - and make sure that he is moving toward the plate (leading with the hips away from the rubber) when he breaks. Too many kids break their hands while still over the rubber; get the body moving out first, then break the hands low. His arm doesn’t need to go straight down but the arm swing should be down, back, and up.

Thanks again structuredoc - I’ll make sure to work on the Hershiser Drill with him to move towards target before breaking. I think he goes down and up fine; just not as much down…