11 Year Old Lefty Throws High and Wide to RHB

Long time lurker, first time poster. I’m sure this has been discussed in this forum, but I can’t find any postings. I’m just a dad trying to help his 11 year old son be a better pitcher, I’m not a coach. My son is a good pitcher with decent velocity and a good off speed pitch. He has been consistently inconsistent in one area: He tends to throw high and wide to right handed batters. I’ve tried to get him to extend and follow through more which seems to correct the problem, but only temporarily. The high and wide stuff will eventually creep back in and he too often get’s himself into trouble (too many walks). This leads me to think that perhaps there is something more going on with his mechanics besides good extension and follow through. What should I be looking for as I try to diagnose this tendency? Anyone with experience coaching lefties with these symptoms? Any expertise from you gentlemen would be valued and appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome!

Sounds like he is opening up early. Early shoulder rotation usually leaves the arm dragging behind resulting in the up-and-away (lefties) or up-and-in (righties) to a RHB. Check his posture (head and spine) for a shift to the glove side or a lean towards home plate. Also watch his glove for instability (flying open, dropping or pulling back). Either of these can lead to early shoulder rotation.

Been there and done that. Cut and paste what Roger said. Video him and watch the glove.

Very good advice about mechanics of peeling off early.

Another possibility is that he’s subconsciously uncomfortable coming inside on right handed hitters and is afraid to leave it over the middle.

Whenever I have a pitcher who is sketchy about busting hitters inside, I set up a full screen in front of the catcher and the hitter. I have the catcher set up inside and I have the pitcher throw a bucket of balls off the screen.

No one will get hit by the ball and the pitcher can make mistakes inside without worrying about beaning the hitter all while getting the feel for coming inside.

After a few of these sessions, the pitcher gets confidence and nails down the mechanics of how it should feel to deliver a good pitch over the inside part of the plate, and he can do it without the screen.

High and wide happens to righties as well as lefties.

This is a timing problem. I see it as derived from impatience more than anything.

In this situation, I’ll prompt the pitcher to ‘stay on the line’ -sometimes I’ll call it a ‘hard line’, …I’ll ask them to drive down the line, keep their head on the target, drive sideways and stay on that back leg longer, don’t bail on it.

The point is to get them to feel their weight shift. If they’re rotating early -rushing the ball to the plate before they’re planted on the ground, squared up and stabilized with weight shifted then high and wide is likely because they’re throwing before they’ve landed.

When your hips turn, you throw. If your hips turn before you’re settled your’re going to fly open. I think it is centrifugal force that takes the ball high and wide.

I’ll bet the others are correct in saying you’ll see some glove sloppiness too. Just settle him down and get him drive all the way into weight shift to get his rhythm back and get behind those throws again.

Chris
www.PitchersWorkshop.com