11 year old average pitch speed

I am 11 and I am wondering if a 70 mph fastball is normal or what. I have very good accuracy paint the corners and am playing JV next year in 7th grade.

Based on my experience, 70 is way above average for an 11yo.

Wow! Like Roger said, 70 is some ched! I think I was about 60.

If you’re playing on a 60’ diamond, you should know by now that 70mph is unhittable from 46’, and it’s only going to get worse for hitters when you are 12. If I was your parent or coach I’d tell you to forget about everything but the fastball and change for now. Throwing that hard at your age is enough stress on your arm already, and at that speed that’s all you should need. I’d also keep the innings down and have you working just as much on hitting, fielding, etc. There is more to baseball than pitching.

I am a lefty so there is not much infield i can do and i am a very strong hitter put it over 250 fences.

If you are really throwing with that kind of velocity(???), you won’t long, throwing the pitches you listed at your age.

Sorry, but NO 11 year old should be throwing a 12/6 curve and especially a slider. Whoever taught you to throw those pitches should have known better. If they didn’t know better, STAY AWAY from their advice.

30 mph curveball? Wicked

Thanks you

Let’s see some video of this 11 YO phenom. I’m especially interested in seeing the 30 mph curve and the 20 mph drop off between the FB and change. I think we could all learn a lot from seeing you in action.

[edit]
I wanted to edit this to say that I am not saying this poster is lying (I don’t know him well enough for that) just that I’d like to see this kid in action.

If my math is correct, that 70 mph fastball from a 46 ft mound would feel like a 92 + fastball from the standard 60 ft 6 inch distance.

There have been little league pitchers at the World Series in Williamsport throwing 70 plus so if you say so, then it is.

Tell us some more…

[quote=“oc2viking”]Let’s see some video of this 11 YO phenom. I’m especially interested in seeing the 30 mph curve and the 20 mph drop off between the FB and change. I think we could all learn a lot from seeing you in action.

[edit]
I wanted to edit this to say that I am not saying this poster is lying (I don’t know him well enough for that) just that I’d like to see this kid in action.[/quote]
How do i tape it?

[quote=“nicktuck6”]
How do i tape it?[/quote]

I typically use my DV video camera on a tripod. Best views are from the 3rd base side and from behind the catcher (or some version of straight on as possible). Save the video to your computer and then upload to YouTube and post here. Gotta make sure the video is saved as public though or we won’t be able to see it. I look forward to seeing it!

Ok i will surely tape it but i will not be throwing any curves/ breaking balls I only throw those on speciel situations and do not want to injure my arm in any way shape or form.

70 is very fast for a 11 year old.

My 12 year old son has topped out at 66 on our cheap Bushnell gun and is usually around 61-62 range. I thought he was doing pretty well for his age.

[quote=“munster7”]70 is very fast for a 11 year old.

My 12 year old son has topped out at 66 on our cheap Bushnell gun and is usually around 61-62 range. I thought he was doing pretty well for his age.[/quote]
Your son is very skilled throwing 66 at 12 he is doing very well for his age. I have been taking lessons for a year and a half makeing my mecanics presise. I got radared with a jugs and topped out at 70 and hit 66-68 on a regular basis.

how big are you?

I am 5 foot 5

I want to see some video of you man but really if you have a 70 mph fastball and you are 11 that’s amazing I had like 59 at that age

What nobody realizes here is velocity at 11 doesnt mean anything.

I respectfully disagree Jacobs, at least in part. If a kid of 11 has only average velocity, then yes, it probably doesn’t mean very much. But if a kid has really special velocity, as the OP says he does, then it means one of three things is likely:

1 - he’ll have outstanding velocity at 16, just like you do.

• or -

2 - he’ll peak at 12 and be an average or below average pitcher by the time he is your age.

• or -

3 - his great stuff will inspire travel team coaches to pitch the hell out his arm, and he’ll be recovering from major arm or shoulder surgery by the time he’s your age.