10yo Pitcher -- Please comment

Please provide any feedback.

Thanks.

It’s a private video.

Okay. Thanks for catching that. It should be public now.

Yes that video effect looks cool but I can’t tell anything from the video.

Not that anyone would care or know, I don’t feel comfortable posting videos or pics of my kids out publicly so I used this effect to shield his identity. I realize also that this effect outlines movement much better as well.

Ok I respect you wanting your kids privacy. But I cannot tell anything important from this video. Maybe someone else could help

Yeah good idea, never know what pederasses are out there.

One thing I seem to notice is when his leg comes up and starts to turn a little sideways. It is hard to explain. I can’t say if it is wrong just that it looks unorthodox.

It would look better to come strait up. He is almost taking his leg and turning it so it would be horizontal (but just a small ammount). See what I am talking about?

I don’t know a lot about actual mechanics sorry, but I can say what looks odd or not.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but on his right pivot foot he lifts the toes of his foot up and turns on his heel, I was taught the opposite to pivot on the balls of my feet.

The best thing he got for xmas is the Wii fit. There are so many balance and agility exercises and he loves doing it on the Wii. Nice thing is the Wii will actually measure exactly your balance and tipping points.

I think that he ‘rocks’ from heel to toe on the pivot. Don’t know if that is a good thing or not.

Thanks for the feedback.

I see, I used to do that and was taught balls of pivot to balls of landing foot, but whatever works. I’m sure for some people it’ll be different than for others, so I’m sure when you see the balance results you’ll be able to adjust accordingly. Goodluck to him =)

In the first video, it appears your son strides to the throwing arm side. Plus he plants on a fairly closed off front foot. These can put unnecessary torque on the hip, knee and ankle joints of the stride leg. But he doesn’t appear to do it in the other two videos. Maybe this is just an inconsistency that needs to be cleaned up.

Also, your son stays pretty upright through his delivery. He plants on an almost straight front leg. I’d squash him down a bit by having his bend his knees and waist a bit in his starting stance and have him keep that into foot plant. I’d also have him start his hips forward a bit sooner than he does and try to lead with his front hip a bit longer into his stride.

[quote=“Roger”]

Also, your son stays pretty upright through his delivery. He plants on an almost straight front leg. I’d squash him down a bit by having his bend his knees and waist a bit in his starting stance and have him keep that into foot plant. I’d also have him start his hips forward a bit sooner than he does and try to lead with his front hip a bit longer into his stride.[/quote]

Thanks. These comments are things I haven’t really noticed because I’m clueless when it comes to baseball. I never played it growing up or have confidence teaching it.

He learned a wall drill at an USC camp where he lifts his stride leg and ‘falls’ against a wall with his front hip.

Appreciate the tips.

Pretty solid for ten years old. The biggest thing I saw was he opens up big time as he lands. He should stride toward the catcher, not to the left. Keep him closed and avoid swinging open.

Sounds like the Hershiser drill at a Tom House/NPA camp. Keep doing it but follow up with pitching (especially from a mound if possible) to help your son take the concept of getting the hips going early from the drill to live pitching.

[quote=“Roger”]
Sounds like the Hershiser drill at a Tom House/NPA camp. Keep doing it but follow up with pitching (especially from a mound if possible) to help your son take the concept of getting the hips going early from the drill to live pitching.[/quote]

Tom wasn’t at this particular camp, however you can see his influence with the players and other coaches. We got a peek inside their workout area and machines. Medicine balls everywhere.

Got a chance to see those two India pitchers up close as well.

Know where to buy an affordable portable mound?

Nope. I have a real dirt mound in my backyard bullpen. I know there are plans for building a portable mound floating around on the internet.

looks pretty good from what i can tell. the wall drill is good for getting the hips in front to lead you down the hill. i would focus on being athletic and getting some flex in the knees and throwing hard. i would spend some time throwing into a large net or target very close and only focus on velocity. i see nothing that causes me to worry in his motion. now just do it and do it and do it.