10U Pitchers stride length & mechanics

Just a baseball Dad trying to help his son pitch better… I have read through a number of your responses on this forum to try and shape the advice I give him. I caught this at his last game; hopefully there is enough to see here.

In my humble opinion he does NOT take a long enough stride causing him to throw with nearly all arm. What are your guy’s thoughts on this and his general mechanics?
Thanks for you time and advice. You guys are great.
Pat

there is a lot of people who are going to reply to that but for what i’ve seen, yes i think he’s not going far enough and that leads to his shoulders going out in front of his glove side knee and so giving him some balance problems after he releases the ball + he’s throwing a lot with his arm + he’s loosing a lot of velocity even though you dont have to worry too much about that right now. i think you should just sit there and make him work on his stride but keep that as a game unless he will just give up and say yeah aiight yeah ok and he’ll keep his old delivery. be sure that he might have control problemsfor a little while and dont be too afraid about it

Yes I think his stride is shorter than you would want it. I also noticed that his arm slot is quite high ( elbow well above shoulder height).

Here is a good link to ASMI’s breakdown of good youth pitching mechanics. It will give you a breakdown of 24 different elements of a pitchers mechanics. It also includes info on how to film your son you can breakdown his mechanics:

http://www.asmi.org/SportsMed/youth/form.html

Be careful not to overdo things. Take one or two major flaws and work on that. At such a young age your son may not have the strength yet to correct all of his flaws so be patient and look to praise him on the smallest of improvements. If you want to lenghten his stride ttry doing it in small inrements (2-3 inches at a time).

Hey thanks alot for both your advice. Kinda suspected it since it was the 1st time I really looked at video of it. Dang… at this age if it’s not one thing its another. Last year he liked to use the “chicken wing” thing and we stopped him pitching & tried to work out that problem. I understand that a high arm slot is believed by many to cause shoulder problems…
We will work on that now.

Thank you guys for your advice!
Pat

My suggestions are:

(1) Get him to keep his head upright through release.

(2) Get him to stabilize his glove out front. He really swings the glove around and lets it finish behind him. Once he extends it out front at foot plant, he should leave it there and bring the chest to it. The elbow will tuck down and the glove will turn over but the arm needs to be firming up to provide a stable base for the throwing arm.

(3) He needs to lengthen his stride because his head and shoulders are getting out front too soon. This causes him to throw with too much arm and not enough body. It also causes him to fall forward after release. To do this, get him to get his hips moving sooner and faster toward home plate while NOT sacrificing his knee lift height. This will take lots of practice to get comfortable with.

Hi Guys
Here is an updated shot of him. Was working with him on lengthening his stride which I think he’s done, now it’s the glove flopping around. Anything different from this angle?

Thank you all for your feedback.

Pat

[quote=“patharless”]Hi Guys
Here is an updated shot of him. Was working with him on lengthening his stride which I think he’s done, now it’s the glove flopping around. Anything different from this angle?

Thank you all for your feedback. [/quote]

I wouldn’t worry about his stride. it’s the least of his problems.

He definitely flies open with his glove. He needs to bring his glove into his glove-side chest.

I hate his arm action. It’s very Chris Carpenter and BJ Ryan. Notice how he breaks his arms with his elbows and how high his PAS elbow gets. I would watch out for shoulder or bicep pain.

I hope he wasn’t taught that arm action.

The stride looks better. I would definitely focus on the glove arm now. He never gets it up in front (no jokes! :roll: ). I recommend getting the front arm up more and into an opposite and equal position at foot plant. This means the upper arms are aligned with each other and the forearm-to-upper arm angle is the same for both arms but one arm can be up and the other down, one up and the other horizontal, etc. He only needs to hold that position for a moment as it’s sort of a transitory position but it needs to happen at foot plant. This will adjust his timing a bit to help him get good hip and shoulder separation and delay his shoulder rotation until the hips are fully rotated.

Once the shoulders start to rotate, the elbow tucks down, the glove turns over, and the glove arm firms up. The chest should move to the glove.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Notice how he breaks his arms with his elbows and how high his PAS elbow gets. I would watch out for shoulder or bicep pain.

I hope he wasn’t taught that arm action.[/quote]Chris, I’m not going to argue about the elbow above the shoulder issue again :wink: but I’m not seeing this kid doing what I know you’ve been recommending against. He does start with the elbows but I don’t see the inverted W action carrying through like Prior or Reyes.

I echo Roger’s comments about the glove side and obviously you’ve heard that already.

Chris is anti-stride but I’m again with Roger on this as long as it’s not via a deliberate intent to reach out with the front foot simply to get a long stride. Make sure it’s because of good sideways momentum generation.

[quote=“dm59”][quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Notice how he breaks his arms with his elbows and how high his PAS elbow gets. I would watch out for shoulder or bicep pain.

I hope he wasn’t taught that arm action.[/quote]Chris, I’m not going to argue about the elbow above the shoulder issue again :wink: but I’m not seeing this kid doing what I know you’ve been recommending against. He does start with the elbows but I don’t see the inverted W action carrying through like Prior or Reyes.[/quote]

His problem isn’t inverted W. It’s that his forearm is late coming through because it hangs down vertically from his PAS elbow.

This increases the distance over and the force with which the PAS upper arm externally rotates.

I saw this exact thing in a kid who pitched against us last night.

Thank’s again guys for the wealth of info… I’ll try and understand
What you are saying since I am new to this. I will start with the
glove side as Roger stated. I’ll try and repost when I
get some results or questions… luckily he is easy and willing to work with.

Thanks Pat