100% or pace yourself?

Do you give it 100% from inning 1 or do you pace yourself and take it easy so you feel you last longer?

It depends on the pitcher. There are those who need to pace themselves, probably because they feel they don’t quite have the strength to go all out at the beginning. And there are those who, from the get-go, bear down hard on the opposing hitters (such as our old friend C.C. Sabathia), and they will go all-out for seven, eight, even nine innings. There are also the pitchers who don’t throw particularly hard but who last the whole game—the finesse pitchers who look faster than they are and who throw lots of good breaking stuff. I think it’s more the control and command than anything else, whether one fires them in there at 100 miles an hour or not.
A pitcher who throws hard but knows when to change up on a hitter would be the one who knows how to pace himself or herself on the mound. A lot of guys go out there at the start of the game with the mindset that it’s the third inning, and they get through the ball game with little or no trouble—if at any time they feel they’re tiring they will let the manager know. 8)

I’m no expert but did pitch in college. I would say you go 100% all the time. If you can throw strikes, that will, likely, keep you in the game longer. If you’re getting hit, tiring, etc., then the next guy up should go 100% until he’s done. Otherwise, you risk putting your team in a hole they may not be able to dig out from. With training, comes endurance and you should be able to take your 100% deeper into the game.

I go full-bore. Always did, just comes natural to me.

100%

We have all been there when an inning can go bad, FAST. Pitchers can’t afford to give an inch to hitters anytime.

100% every second your out there.

The one time i dropped my guard i regretted it. It was during a high school regional tourney and we were playing the number one rank team, the Latta Panthers. I started the game hot. I was working low and inside with my fastball and slider like magic. I was pushing a no hitter and the score was 0-0 in the 6th inning. We only went 7 innings in high school ball. No body was even coming close to making contact. I had 12Ks and was getting pretty confident with myself. The Latta coach started putting in his bench warmers and i started letting off the gas. I remember this little guy coming up to bat. He was so nervous and intimidated it made me feel bad. For some reason i threw a mid 70s fastball right down the middle and he hit it and broke my no hitter. That little kid ended up score off a stolen base and a catchers throwing error to second. He might have been little but the dude was fast. We lost the regionals 1-0 and i ended up with a 1 hitter.

[size=24][/size]100% !!!

Well I think there is a daifference in 100% and 100%velocity. Because I take a lot off my 2seam and it’s about 70 while my 4seam is high 70’s sobi don’t think you have to throw your hardest every pitch but you need to be 100% focused every pitch. Big difference

My bad double post

100% to the 1-6 hitters or depending on team the teams most valuable hitters could be 2-5 1-5 3-5 whatever the hitters that can hit your best stuff. Then usually for the bottom of the order i’ll pace myself a little bit conserve some energy but throw strikes and if i get hit i’ll go back to 100% but why waste 100% on the bottom of the order if they cant hit your 80%?

It’s funny, I asked my son this last night after he pitched the second game of our doubleheader and then I noticed this topic today.

To set the stage, the team we played is very good. They were 23-4 going into our games last night. They play good fundamental baseball and hit the ball well. We lost the first game 6-2, primarily because our first pitcher had trouble with the mound (hate those portable mounds) and gave up 3 runs on 4 walks and a hit in the first inning, and we just couldn’t get back in it.

Like I said, my son started the second game and had a great outing. He gave up 1 run on 4 hits, 5 Ks, 3BB, and 1 HBP in a complete game win. At the end of the first inning, we were up 3-1, the same score as at the end of the game.

When he’s on the mound, he looks pretty smooth, and sometimes it doesn’t even look like he is trying. But, it actually looked like he was throwing harder in the later innings than in the earlier ones. On the drive home, I asked him if he threw as hard as he could every time. He told me that he didn’t, and he really only threw as hard as he could a few times a game when he really needed to throw it by someone for a strikeout. He said that he still threw every pitch hard, but that he was usually throwing about 90-95% as hard as he could on most of them.

The thing that I found most interesting was that he said he throws his hardest against the medium sized kids that are down toward the lower end of the batting order. He said that if he can blow it by them, he would, because otherwise they were big enough they could just make contact and possibly get a hit, but they weren’t big or good enough to really drive one. He said he actually pitched slower to some of the really big guys who are good hitters because he was more worried about location than speed. He said that with those guys, if he struck them out it was usually with a changeup, and if they were going to hit it, it was going to be low and away, hoping he would get a ground ball. I had never thought of it that way, but it made sense when he said it.

Of course, luck plays a big part too. We had one out in the final inning and they had a runner on second and their #4 hitter at the plate. He was one if the big kid/good hitters described above, and he was ahead in the count 3-0. My kid was all around the plate but really wasn’t giving him anything he could drive. We called for him to throw it away, put the kid on base and let’s try to get the next kid. When he went to throw, he said the ball stuck in his hand and he actually threw a fat meat ball straight down the center of the plate. The big kid hit it so hard, you could actually hear it scream as it took off. But, our short stop was closer to the bag trying to keep the runner honest and the ball went straight in his glove. He stepped on second for the double play, and the game was essentially over.

I promise you that hand is bruised today. But, we got the outs and the win, so I bet he thinks it was worth it.

I try to throw around 90%, when I try and rear back I lose control. My shoulders tend to tense up and my arm does all the work. I get very little velocity boost anyway, maybe 1 mph if that.

Why would you ever not go 100%?? I guess the idea of the japanese fighting spirit infected me but I don’t think you can have a strong fighting spirit and thrown half heartedly.

Keep in mind there is a difference between giving it your all and OVER throwing.

I’m able to go 100% the whole game. I’m the type of guy that gets stronger as the game goes. Earlier in the season I threw 7 innings and allowed 1 run, but I threw 138 pitches. It was a rather ugly outing but I was throwing harder in the 7th than I was in the 1st.

your job as a pitcher is to give it all you got. and thats what i do 8)