10 year old son

My son is a lefty pitcher and really enjoys baseball however baseball was never my sport. I would like to help him any way that I can and stumbled on this forum. If anyone can give me advice as ways to help him it would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

John

seems like he wants to throw with his arm a lot…its a bit confusing when watching cause his lower body work doesn’t look bad but his upper body mechanics looks out of sync with the lower body.

it’s like his body is about to take over and supply all the energy but then his arm butts in and says no I’m going to throw it and wastes everything the lower half was trying to do.

i would work on keeping his upper body back/closed a little longer and let the energy from the lower half get to the torso and let the torso use that energy to whip the the arm into acceleration.

this also could be a issue of conditioning, he could be out of shape…but he is only a 10 year old so I wouldn’t expect a 10 year old to be in tip top athletic shape or even just in shape. He still has a lot of growin to do.

[quote=“tonyjh34”]seems like he wants to throw with his arm a lot…its a bit confusing when watching cause his lower body work doesn’t look bad but his upper body mechanics looks out of sync with the lower body.

it’s like his body is about to take over and supply all the energy but then his arm butts in and says no I’m going to throw it and wastes everything the lower half was trying to do.

i would work on keeping his upper body back/closed a little longer and let the energy from the lower half get to the torso and let the torso use that energy to whip the the arm into acceleration.

this also could be a issue of conditioning, he could be out of shape…but he is only a 10 year old so I wouldn’t expect a 10 year old to be in tip top athletic shape or even just in shape. He still has a lot of growin to do.[/quote]

Thanks we will work on keeping his upper body and back closed.

Check with your local colleges and universities and see if they offer any camps or clinics. It’s a great way to build fundemental soundness in a young kid without having to do the crap shoot of hoping for a good/decent little league coach. It will also teach you what quality baseball instruction looks like so you can facillitate him getting the best available…and more importantly see when it isn’t good. It will also expose him to players of a higher quality and athleticism which will drive up his skill level too. This will save you from having to “learn” it all while helping him to reach whatever potential his desire will take him too.

I have him signed up for a High School camp that meets once a week in January. We also have an indoor facility close by that offers individual instruction and will look into it further after the holidays. Thanks for the help.

i love the way he naturally holds his weight on the back leg. what i see is, when he shifts the weight into his front leg, he doesn’t do this aggressively. that is the time to get busy and the hand moves the fastest at release. he is trying to be careful and is slowing down to release. turn that thing lose. put that head down and let it fly. i would throw into a large net set very close to take the location worry out of the equation right now.

keep going. find a good video clip of a great lefty pitcher in the hall of fame and use it as a model. good place to start. don’t be afraid to try things. you don’t have to be a great pitcher or player to be a great coach (and dad).

I agree with Dusty that this pitcher looks like he is being careful.

While the pitcher needs better glove-side control, I would put some initial focus on being more agressive. Start in a more athletic position by slightly bending at the knees and waist - like a batting stance. Then get moving forward more aggressively. After that, then see what the glove side looks like.