10 year old Pitching Mechanics

My son practiced pitching for the first time after shutting it down all winter. He just turned 10 earlier this month (he’s always been a hard thrower for his age).

Comments welcome. Don’t ask re the barefeet. :slight_smile:

Looks good. Nice sideways movement. He collapses a bit on his back leg as he posts up, but he’s 10, and I think he’s doing great for this stage in his development. Big things ahead for your son, no doubt!

Wha else do you think he needs to improve??

stride angle ? or low front leg standing ?

Thanks for the feedback Steven!

Yea I agree with Steve…stay a little taller during knee lift and after it reaches its highest point then 1. lower the stride leg and 2. sit the butt back a little (both at the same time).

Its a timing thing, I notice some pitchers do the right things but at the wrong time.

everything else looks good…def on the right track.

Oh yea I like your name…McLoven lol

I’m gonna disagree with you guys. Instead of staying tall, I think he needs to start lower. When this boys lowers himself during knee lift and stride, his body is simply adjusting to a posture in which he can recruit the strength necessary to do what he’s asking his body to do. House calls this the “Posture Paradox”. The adjustment is extra movement in directions other than at the target and we don’t want it happening during the delivery. So, start in that lowere position and then he will be able to cut out that unwanted movement and take everything towards the target.

CheckMate Roger, CheckMate

When their stride leg is coming down they sit their butt back…go to the front page of the pitching clips section and look at lincecum he “sits on his back leg for as long as possible” ~ Tim Lincecum

What would this look like, Roger? It’s tough for me to visualize … in that pic of Roger Clemens above, for example, there is literally no bend in his post leg at all. Same with Mo, no bend. The both stay tall imho. I also just don’t see a lot of pitchers at the MLB level dropping down like the boy in the evaluation above.

That said, he does a lot of other things very well!

My comments are directed at the forward flex at the waist - not the flex of the posting knee. If you watch the pitcher’s head you see it drop as he goes into knee lift. Some of that is due to the posting leg bending and some of it is due to the bending at the waist. It is normal for the posting leg to bend as the stride is initiated - nothing wrong there that I can see. The bend at the waist means the pitcher’s head is also moving forward towards 3B. For young pitchers especially who lack the core strength to stabilize posture well, this unnecessary movement in a direction other than towards the target can lead to an inconsistent release point. This pitcher does not exhibit a lot of forward trunk flex but, nonetheless, it can be eliminated by starting with the knees and waist already flexed.

the post leg means front or back leg???

hydejing,

The post leg is the leg that is attached to the foot that remains in contact with the front edge of the rubber through most of the delivery.

The other leg is the stride leg…the one that the pitcher sticks out in front to to make his stride toward home plate.

Do you see any possible problem with a guy of your experience and level of understanding giving loads of strident know-it-all advice about pitching mechanics and injuries?

Presumably, your “pitching mentor” is Chris O’Leary…if that’s true, then that really explains alot…everything O’Leary thinks he knows about baseball was learned from internet forums and incubated in his vivid imagination.

I see two problems that will lead to shoulder injuries.

The first is that he lifts his lead elbow way too high. This jams his left arm into the shoulder socket and frays the rotator cuff. The left upper arm should not go above horizontal if he wants a long career.

The second is his finish. He finishes his pitch short by stopping his shoulder rotation and looking straight at the batter. It would be better if he imitated Lincecum by rolling over on his left leg so that his back faces the batter. Lincecum calls this ‘picking up the dollar’ or letting the right arm continue moving down toward the ground as if picking up a dollar bill.

To do this, he needs good neck rotation (at least 110 degrees) in order to look back over his shoulder at the batter (you don’t want to take your eyes off the batter).

By stopping his shoulder rotation, he is forcing his small rotator cuff muscles to slow down his arm. This results in small tears, inflammation, and eventual shoulder problems.

For future videos, it would be good for him to have his shirt tucked in so we can see his hips more clearly.

[quote=“Pitchmaster”]… he lifts his lead elbow way too high. This jams his left arm into the shoulder socket and frays the rotator cuff.[/quote]Are there any stats that support this? How many rotator cuff injuries happen to the glove side?

[quote=“tonyjh34”]When their stride leg is coming down they sit their butt back…[/quote]May I suggest that the functional element here is not so much the “sit” but “leading with the hip” and the generation of momentum toward the plate. If we check out those clips, it is evident that the centre of gravity is moving toward the plate during this period.

Sitting the butt back while moving toward the plate is what happens. When you sit your butt back you can keep yourself balanced and controlled.

Like dm, I tend to think about this as 'leading with the hip".

With reference to the mound, I think most people tend to think of the direction toward home plate as being “forward” and the direction away from the plate (i.e., toward 2nd base) as “back”.

So, just as a gut reaction…“sitting the butt back” just sounds kind of wrong, even though you clearly don’t mean “back towards 2nd base”.

For an RHP you’re really talking about “sitting your butt toward 1st base” while moving toward the plate, right? For an LHP it would be, “sitting your butt toward 3rd base”.

i never said back toward 2nd base, I understand your point though. Its not that complicated, its similar to the form you take when doing squats or when told to get in an athletic stance (balanced with butt back, slight flex in the knees and chest over knees)

You can lead with your hip while striding in an athletic stance, for me it happens naturally rather than consciously trying to make it happen. Last thing I want to be doing while I’m on the mound is being Obsessed with what steps I have to do each time during my delivery.

The Simpler the Better, some things are not as complicated as people make them.

re: "Last thing I want to be doing while I’m on the mound is being Obsessed with what steps I have to do each time during my delivery. "

------Agree 100% with you. All of the mechanics cues discussed on LTP are really for coaches/pitchers to use for creating effective reps in practice so that an optimized pitching delivery will be unconscious by the time it gets to the mound in games.

Your son seems to have an excellent foundation for growing into the kind of athletic performer that will compliment more muscle, balance, aggressive approaches to this position (pitcher) and a host of other things that come with age and maturity.

Ten years of age offers a youngster a great opportunity to learn this sport - not a game, but a sport. The fundamentals of why and what-for, along with style(s) and motion that will accommodate a bigger, stronger, and even in some cases a huskier frame. In that regard, what you boy is doing now - per your video, can be completely altered by his physical attributes at - say, age fifteen, then during the physical maturity age of around eighteen to twenty, you could be looking at a different package all together.

The suggestion that have been offered thus far are pretty good, and as you can see, opinions based on observations vary. The true tempered advice that you can use - as well as the person who it’s intended for, your son, is to acquire the services of a Pitching Coach. A Pitching Coach that IS a pitching coach - but not right now.

Why not now?

At ten years of age, you son will experience a learning curve that’s best supported by just having a heck of good time with his dad and a local home town club. With what I see here, he should acquire a good following and still enjoy himself without the " ok, let’s see how you did", during the ride home in dad’s station wagon. Instead, a stop-off at the local soft-serve ice cream stand, a soda and “I’m really proud of you son”, goes light years ahead of any game critique.

I would suggest letting him use what he has for now, let him groom himself with a learning phase that he himself thinks about - not you, and every once and a while ask him … " so, what do ya think?" Let your son ask questions and the wanting of more coaching.

Overall though, for ten, he looks pretty darn good. I would suggest he slow things down just a bit and let his body feel the motions that he now has - even if during game time he gets hit a lot. At ten, this “getting hit” shouldn’t be a big deal - after all, he’s undergoing a learning curve that’ll serve him well in the next phase of his baseball experience.

And by the way, whatever coaching, instruction or advice that your son receives will be altered dramatically during game game time due to the field conditions that your son will be playing off of. So, like I mentioned above, give your son some slack when observing and taking notes of your son’s performance and progress.

Coach B.

thanks laflippin

i did give some advice to my friends, and they all stay with their arm healthy now

to PItching master

he did not left the elbow way to high

during his arm swing, his elbow is always below shouder level

Look at tonyjh34’s GIF, ryan, clemens, rivera , three of them their elbow is also lower than shouder before the ball come up near behind the head

Coach B may be out of topic but good advice

Sure thing, hydejing…say, did you ever remember to write to Aaron Harang, c/o the Cinncinnati Reds, to help him correct his horrible mechanics? Now that you know the difference between ‘post leg’ and ‘stride leg’, I’m sure he will be glad to listen carefully to your advice. :lol: