10 year old pitching in the yard

https://vimeo.com/406020455?ref

Could someone take a look at this video and see what could be improved. This is his first year pitching and I’m looking for tips to improve

He just needs to be told to throw as hard as he can (within reason). The rest will likely work itself out. Just very timid and unsure. Throw hard! Once he is at max effort for a few weeks, send in another video. Good luck.

Thank you for the comments and suggestions, to me his form is good just looking for improvements on his delivery. But I,'m not the expert. Are you saying he is not giving max effort with his whole body

To avoid sugar-coating, his form is very, very bad. That said, it’s not atypical for his age. There are many things he can be (and should be) doing better. He is definitely not throwing max effort. My guess is he is around 65%. By throwing max effort, it will let his mind find the most efficient way to deliver the ball with the max force. It doesn’t look like he is a small kid, or even an unathletic kid. It just means he needs to get up there and start chucking it, without any regard to where it goes. Teach backwards from there.
In other words, teaching him the corrections now would confuse him. Plus there are too many at this time. The quicker and more efficient manner to catch him up is by having him just throw harder and use visual results to make sure he is going down the right path.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to reply, you mention there are many things that he should be doing better, but you fail to say what those many things are. You are correct when you say that the body will do what it needs to in order to throw max force. Mechanics should be first then max effort he should get better. For example is he ahead or behind his elbow is he off balance is he planting his foot in line. Like I said in the original post. Looking for mechanics to make him better

Hi Cbyron22

Lets start off by saying I’m glad your son has an interest in pitching. Getting him started at this age is a huge plus because you can iron out mechanical issues that arise.

With that being said, your son does have some mechanical faults. These faults can be traced back to the beginning of his delivery. Most times when you fix the beginning of the delivery, other faults usually straighten out. It’s up to us to quickly find the hidden faults that reduce pitching velocity and control while at the same time reducing the risk of arm injuries.

The first area of fault I noticed is the positioning of his body at peak leg lift. Positioning the body correctly and properly will help him move more efficiently and explosively in the correct direction down the mound. What your son does on leg lift is counter-rotates his hips and trunk away from his target. This is easily seen at peak leg lift. Prior to hand break and at peak leg lift, your son’s knee and foot are pointing at second base. As he rotates his lower half towards second base, he also shifts his glove and pitching arm back and away from his body.

I would start focusing on fixing this first. We can talk later about proper weigh shift and other mechanical faults. Look at the images below. The one image comes courtesy of Steven Ellis

LTP%20CByron Leg%20Lift

The following is also courtesy of Steven Ellis. Mr. Ellis has broken down and explained this part of the delivery in detail

"Stretch

Leg lift under control.
Stay tall.
Posting leg firm but slightly flexed.
Ankle under knee.
Head over ball of posting foot.
Head and glove have little movement.
Body stays under control.
At this point of a pitcher’s delivery, it doesn’t matter whether you are throwing from the stretch or from the windup because each technique requires a leg lift. A pitcher’s leg lift is one of the most important stages of the pitching delivery.

Without an effective leg lift, a pitcher will struggle to achieve proper pitching mechanics. It is vitally important that pitchers develop a consistent leg lift because it sets the tone for the rest of the delivery.

The most important reason to have an effective leg lift is generate momentum and acceleration towards home plate. The leg lift will lead you into your pitching stride and eventually into your foot strike. Secondly, a good leg lift will help you develop a rhythm in your pitching mechanics.

If you examine any MLB pitcher, you will notice that they always have very good timing and rhythm. A consistent leg lift is what allows them to maintain their exceptional rhythm towards home plate.

Throughout pitching history, pitchers have utilized an array of unique leg lifts. Sandy Koufax was an excellent example of how pitchers in the past used to perform their leg lifts. Back then, it was considered to be more like a leg kick, than a leg lift.

This old-school method has been replaced by a more concise and effective version. While there is currently many pitchers who utilize an uncharacteristic leg kick, most utilize a simple and precise leg lift.

Best Height for the Leg Lift
There is a lot of debate about the actual height of a pitchers leg lift. The height of a pitchers leg lift really depends on their type of pitching motion and arm slot.

For example, a sidearm pitcher would most likely avoid using a high leg kick because it would severely alter the pitching mechanics. On the other hand, pitchers who throw over the top will most likely utilize a higher leg lift, which will allow them to throw a downhill plane.

Some pitching instructors believe the leg lift should not exceed the waist level. They will contend that if a pitcher’s leg lift exceeds past waist height, then it will force the pitcher to slightly lean backwards. This is definitely an accurate argument, but it is not true in many instances.

Some of greatest and fastest throwing pitchers of all time have used very high and uncharacteristic leg lifts.

Leg Lift Mechanics
Follow these steps to ensure a successful transition into the remaining portion of your pitching mechanics.

Lift your leg up at an angle
Do not lift your leg straight up because it will not allow you to achieve proper hip rotation at foot strike
Keep your foot relaxed and aimed towards the ground
Avoid pointing your foot in the air
If you throw over the top, lift your leg to at least waist height
Keep your hips close with your glove side back pocket aim at the target
Try not to rotate your shoulders
Your stride leg should be slightly bent, making it easier to stride into foot strike
The majority of the your weight should be on the ball of your foot
At the top of the leg lift, your head and eyes should be locked in on the target
A proper leg lift is essential to the rest of your delivery, and you must develop consistency with it."

This in my opinion is the first step in correcting some of his mechanical faults. There is no time like the present to start working on dry drills in front of a mirror to help correct this fault.

Steve C

Thanks for the input and time you put in to reply, I will work on the leg lift like you said and do another video in the future. Then we can build from their

By doing just that minor adjustment ti his leg lift the first 10 pitches were strikes. Thanks for the analysis, I will work with him more in the next couple of weeks and redo a video. Thanks again he was all smiles

As a father of a 10 year old myself, work on one or two things first, then add another and keep reinforcing the previous until the confidence is there. Good luck on the journey.

Thanks for the input