10 year old pitching advice

I have a LH 10 year old son that is wanting to pitch this season. I started out by taking him to a local pitching coach for lessons. He has went for 8 1/2 hour lessons now and we have determined two things he need to work on.

The first is he cuffs the ball (sort of like Rick Sutcliffe) as he takes it back away from his body and he does not keep his fingers on top the ball at release causing it to spin alittle sideways making it hard to control. (hope that makes sense)

Is there any drills you know of to help correct these problems.

My son is 10 and pitching well at a high level(select) league.These guys here have been AWESOME.I don’t know as much as some of these guys,but probably more than some…We did a drill on a team that may work for you…Kneel down just like a baseball card picture.LHP–left knee down…swing the arm down slowly with the fingers on top at the bottom,so he is kind of “spiking” the ball.point glove/elbow to target…come around circular and throw softly ensuring a vertical spin as much as possible-it will be off a few degrees probably–not perfectly plumb…Kneeling isolates the upper body throwing motion from the footwork,making it easier for him and you to work only on arm slot/throwing motion.We do this drill maybe 15 feet apart and throw the slowest you can while “spinning” the ball.We also put a stripe on the ball for a four seamer to get feedback easier.We have discovered that every single throw,even playing catch with buddies,is an opportunity to groove a correct throw,but also an incorrect throw,which takes the fun out of messin around with a baseball,kind of.What I’m saying is–your pitch is your throw–so if you wanna fix your pitch,you’re going to have to fix your throw and let it creep into your pitch.If you try to be a “pitcher” when you’re pitching and throw lazy any other time,bad things that are hard to pin down and fix later will creep in.So—try the drill,and then play catch,and forget about it pitching.Fix it warming up and playing catch and it will come.The best thing for him to think about is nothing when he’s pitching—Let me know how it works for you or if you need clearer drill instructions…Good Luck…HOME PLATE DON’T MOVE…LOL

[quote=“munster7”]I have a LH 10 year old son that is wanting to pitch this season. I started out by taking him to a local pitching coach for lessons. He has went for 8 1/2 hour lessons now and we have determined two things he need to work on.

The first is he cuffs the ball (sort of like Rick Sutcliffe) as he takes it back away from his body and he does not keep his fingers on top the ball at release causing it to spin alittle sideways making it hard to control. (hope that makes sense)

Is there any drills you know of to help correct these problems.[/quote]

I don’t consider cuffing the ball ideal however I don’t automatically consider it a problem either. I can’t think of any drills to address cuffing.

Now the sideways spin is what concerns me the most. Throwing the ball with a twist (i.e. supination) is not good for the elbow. This is how a lot of young kids try to throw curves. But twisting during forward acceleration of the arm is what causes elbow problems. I think you should definitely correct this. One option is to use a marker to draw a black stripe around the center of a ball and then have your son practice throwing it such that the stripe stays centered. An alternative is to color one entire half of the ball black and then throw it such that the black half stays on one side. He won’t be able to do either of these if he’s twisting.

Check his grip also. My son had elbow problems because of what I believe was supination, or a slider motion. In his case, I noticed that he had his thumb up the side of the ball which contributed to the supination issue.

I did notice last night that he would do same thing with his thumb.
It is not something he does everytime but, when he does throw like this with the spinning it comes out really bad.

I will have to post a video of him, maybe that would help.

Tom House teaches having the thumb and middle finger cut the ball in half for all pitches. He also says that allowing the thumb to creep up the side of the ball creates a tendency to supinate. So dm59 is right - check the grip.

Video would help.The drill I suggested we used very effectively to work on coming over the top and ensuring an 11-5 or 1-7 arm slot and finish.If his arm slot is correct,and he finishes down by his knee,then yes,he is probably supponating or gripping oddly.Many of these guys have pointed out to me to keep in mind hand size as it relates to grip.Most info you find is adult-geared with no consideration of this.Most 10 yr olds have no clue the difference between a 4 and 2 seamer,or the effects.Most 10 yr old kids could benefit from this drill if you watch a team warm up.Something like 20% of the kids we have played with are ok right out of the box,which is why I bring this up again.It’s nearly impossible to throw a “straight” ball without this in place.I was fortunate to have taken my kid to a Cardinals Alumni camp,where a former pro pointed out a spin problem he had in his first year of baseball.He cried and got upset,but after much grief,he learned to fix it.It still comes out once in a while—but usually fielding.These guys opinions are good,and I’m sure the combination of answers cover the problem.You will get enough opinions here to go out and be aware of more things to look for while trying to pin it down.good luck to you both.

Here is a video from tonight, we are open to any advice.