10 year old pitcher

If anyone can give me any feedback on my 10 year old pitchers mechanics and give me some advice. Thanks everyone.

2 comments:

First, I would like to see him keep the head and spine behind the front hip more by leading with the front hip after knee lift and into foot plant. Look up the Hershiser Drill on YouTube. This will help him achieve late shoulder rotation.

Second, he needs to take better care of the glove. Get the glove arm into an “equal and opposite” position with the throwing arm (make adjustments to the glove arm - not the throwing arm) and stabilize the glove out over the front foot instead of letting it drop to the side. This will help avoid posture shifts during the delivery and it will also help achieve late shoulder rotation.

Late shoulder rotation buys more time for the hips to rotate to maximize hip and shoulder separation and to let the release point happen further out front.

Thanks roger

You need to hear from Zita, so she can explain “The Secret”.

Basically the secret is getting the whole body involved. Your son IMO uses very little legs and core. He goes through the motions but appears to through with mostly arm and very little legs involved in the process.

Agree with Roger, look up the Hershiser drill. It will help him lead with his front hip, get the legs more involved, and create more hip shoulder separation.

Thank you. I bought one of Ellis’s toughcuff jr. Books. I will be adding the hershiser drill to his routine. Thanks.

Okay, Turn22—here I am, and this is what “The Secret” is all about.
You got it right when you said it’s about getting the whole body involved. I learned this a long time ago when I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium and watched the pitchers—particularly the Big Three rotation of Vic Raschi, Allie Reynolds and Eddie Lopat. I saw what they were doing and how they were doing it: they were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, creating a flow of energy all the way up through the shoulder and the arm to the fingertips. In this way they were generating more power in their pitches, and also they were taking a lot of pressure off said shoulder and arm so they could throw harder—and faster, even Lopat who was not a fireballer—with less effort. Not a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore elbow or a sore anything else.
I watched them, and I saw just how they were doing it, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I found that I was doing the same thing those three pitchers were doing! Now, I wasn’t very fast, but I found I could throw harder with less effort, and my delivery (I was a natural, honest-to-gosh sidearmer) had more snap and sizzle to it.
The “Hershiser” drill is a good place to start. It requires no special equipment, just a fence or a wall, and working with it will help get the hips fully involved, which is very important because the hips are the connection between the lower and upper halves of the body. And that is “The Secret”—and if more pitchers would learn to use it there would be fewer injuries and sore arms and whatever. You can pass this info along to the pitcher in question and teach him how to work with it. 8)