10 year old pitcher...take a look

Hey guys, my son has been pitching since he was 7 and he is in his second year of minor leagues right now. He is one of the starting pitchers and has been very strong against the competition. He has only issued 1 walk as of 3 innings but he has a tendency to lose his accuracy at times. Here is an initial video of him throwing a bullpen session. I know it is short but I wanted to get it up here and see what you guys think. I will be getting full footage of him this thursday as he is starting and scheduled to pitch 3 innings. Tell me if you see anything I can try to correct rather quickly and I will post the game footage probably thursday night.

Side note: all his mechanics he is displaying are from my teaching almost exclusively but he did recently work with a local pitching coach.

Anyone care to comment at all?

I will be posting more clips tonight as he is starting pitcher tonight and is scheduled to pitch 3.

looks good to me. So, you’ve taught him yourself. I am trying to gather information to help my son, he’s good and has determination but I dont know what or how i should be teaching him. His coach is just letting him… throw however he wants. Do you have any suggestions for me?

There is a lot of great info on this site and some great people wh know a lot of things on here also, so hopefully they will chime in too. What I did was I allowed his to throw his natural way, I did not try to change his arm slot or his natural body movement at all. What I did do was study some MLB pitchers, specifically Josh Beckett and Daniel Bard because they seem to have pitching motions and windups that are “effortless” if that makes sense. Plus my son loves those two so it made it easier. The biggest things I did to help him were 1) make sure he is gripping the ball properly for a 4 seam, 2 seam, and circle change. 2) we worked on his leg lift for his balance starting when he was 6 or 7. At the same time, we also worked on showing the ball to the centerfielder while the glove arm is pointed at the catcher. 3) after he got those down, we had to work real hard (and still are) with his follow through. I am talking bout throwing arm to opposite knee, chest down and good rear leg kick. He is coming along with that but I wish I got him to do it earlier.

I believe most of the accuracy a pitcher has comes from the front foot plant in correlation to the glove arm. We are know also working on getting the “chicken wing” in the glove arm. He gets the glove arm out there and in the right position, in my opinion, but he likes to loop his glove and bring it down to his shin instead of pulling the glove into his chest while simultaneously pushing his chest to the glove. The finish should look like a “chicken wing” in the glove arm.

I’ve got a lot of studying to do! I’m coming at this kinda raw. I’ve been reading and searching this forum for the information i want, but i think that a baseball dictionary would be helpful also. lOl… My boys play daily, in between their practices, and on weekends playing competitively with other youth. How much play or practice time is to much? Seems to me, if they are willing and able… all the time they want. Is their such a thing as to much.

How old are they. Obviousl my oldest is 10 and I let him play whenver he wants but I am watch very closely his pitch count. During the week when he is not pitching, I usually have him throw a bullpen session a couple times a week. Usually every 3-4 days I have him throw 40 pitches. I also have him doing long toss quite often to build strength and velocity. I purchases one of the e-books here on this site and it is very helpful. It is not the tuffcuff one, but the other one for younger kids.

My boys are 7 , 10, 12… and they all want to pitch. We live in a small town so, not sure if there is a ‘bullpen’… So far… they are making great catchers also…or should they only be trained in one specific area?

To me, versatility is great. I let my kids play whatever position they want until it impedes the team. Luckily, I have two athletes so that has not been an issue yet. You really don’t need a “bullpen”. Just go to the local ball field and have them pitch off the mound. Just make sure you set up a catcher at the proper distance for their age group. They can also practice on level ground. This will help reduce the stress in their arms tha is created from pitching on an elevated surface. If they can pitch from a level surface, it will only help them when they get on the mound. There is soooooo much info here. Browse through it and take what you think works with your kids and create that muscle memory. Another option is to find a local pitching coach to have them work with. Most of them are inexpensive but worth it.

Perhaps some mother to mother advice might help a bit. I have 4 boys, 32, 26, 12, 10 and all play baseball. My best advice to you is to let them play whatever position they want, focus on hitting because this will afford them the most playing time, especially in HS. If they develop into pitchers then make sure they have the proper mechanics, limit overuse, and enjoy the ride…MOST OF ALL - let it be fun. Find a team that plays several games throughout the summer and even into fall if your weather permits, games are the best experience and the more games they play the better they will become. Good luck, hope that helps.

Oh… fun is the most important. Helping them learn the proper techniques is what my main focus is… they are all interested in playing pitcher/catcher… i just don’t want them to form any unwanted habits. I’ve been reading just about all day… this site is helpful very much. Now, i just need to be able to verbalize and get them to sit still long enough to maybe watch some videos with me… the weather is just right today so they’ll want to take full advantage. My sons pitching looks a little sloppy n off balance, with boys being very competitive… if they don’t play as well as they could… it’s my fault. Alot of information here, Thanks for the advise… very much appreciated.

there are bullpins and mounds everywhere, where are you from Angela?

He’s a strong one isn’t he?
The first thing that jumps out at me is the glove hand…slingin it pretty good, this leads to all kinds of issues. I’m not sure but it could be that his glove is too big. He has a good body, looks very confident…maybe a bit cocky (Gotta have some swagger up on the bump :smiley: ), these are good ingrediants and as was mentioned, fun at this age is the very best medicine to help him grow to love it. In this economy it’s tough to come up with extra cash but I think it would help him to get a couple of lessons or maybe a college clinic or 2 under his belt. Have him participate in saving for a couple so he’ll know what a sacrifice you have to go through to get them and he’ll appreciate the privledge all the more.

I’d like to welcome all of you mom’s and new folks, this is a neat thread and it just kinda shows how our community encourages more community…thanks for coming here, we believe it special for the kids and I think more like ya’ll will only make it better.

i appreciate the feedback. We are working on his glove hand, trying to get him to do the chicken wing. Any comments on his other mechanics good or bad?

Thats the thing Merlin, one element can so effect the others that it renders much more analysis as ineffectual. The good is that he’s involving his entire body, working to develop momentum, the down side of that is; too out of control means just that…not bad if you get it anywhere near the zone and are throwing faster than the age group, just keep in mind that it’s a diminishing return thing…it will take a whole lot of energy and slip or mis-landing injuries will be something to be more aware of. I always like to approach it more from a fundementals side first and then build in the power techniques (Intent, added momentum generation, scap stuff, loading, etc.), though many kids have those elements naturally and many would advocate intent from get go.

i hope this amazing kid can place his glove around his chest when he followthrough