10 year old, not coming up on front foot

I’m just a typical Dad, trying to help my 10 year old pitch a little better. He loves baseball and would be out practicing right now if it weren’t freezing.

his followthrough looked wierd, and it was hard for me to tell what he was doing until I shot the video.
At first I thought he was overstriding, but I don’t think that’s the case.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks, you guys are a great service to all young players (coaches and dads too)

the video finally processed. – it’s available now.

He looks good given his age.

The only thing I would work on is his flying open with the glove. I would focus on his bringing his chest to his glove so that he finishes with his glove at his glove side pec.

This is a very common problem that can cause velocity and control problems. It’s also safer for a pitcher to finish with their glove at the GS pec.

yes, we have worked on the glove issue before, it keeps coming back from time to time.

I was more watching his legs on that video, I think that’s about the worst I’ve seen him do it.

this is normally what he does with his glove,

and we’re working on trying to get him to pull it to his chest more.

I don’t see anything unusual.

Thanks very much Steve.

We’ll continue to work on the glove, but I’ll leave him alone otherwise, and let him pitch.

He does very well with his control most of the time, but does throw a wild one from time to time (which is going to happen at 10) – but I bet the glove is where that is coming from.

This will be his second season pitching (opening day is Saturday) and we’re very happy with the progress he has made since starting.

Any other suggestions are of course welcome.

With kids this young, I usually don’t get too carried away with things. I pretty much just look for good posture and balance as well as a decent stride. I pay close attention to their head, their glove and their feet. For your son, I’d watch his head - he tilts it to the side so I’d have him work on keeping it upright. I’d also watch his glove as in the first video you posted, he lets it drop and that can also contribute to posture issues. Your son’s stride looks good.

What I was talking about in the first post is, it seems like his hips never come up over his front leg. I don’t think I explained that real well.

If you guys tell me this is nothing to worry about, then I won’t

I hadn’t noticed the head thing before. I’ll watch for it, We ran out yesterday in the back yard for a couple videos, it was 35* with 20 mph wind, the head may be due to the extra clothing, and wind. (you can hear it in the video)

I do appreciate your input guys. thank you.

[quote=“ecourt”]What I was talking about in the first post is, it seems like his hips never come up over his front leg. I don’t think I explained that real well.

If you guys tell me this is nothing to worry about, then I won’t[/quote]

I know what you are talking about, but I wouldn’t worry about it.

ecourt wrote:

O’Leary replied:

ecourt you are correct (my opinion) in what you are “sensing” (seeing). You were also on the right track with your comment so I WOULD worry about it.

Glove arm action has virtually nothing to do with this player should be working on.

In his first post ecourt said:

My opinion is that it’s not over striding “per se”. But over striding can cause what is limiting this players development.

Paul,

I hope you’re kidding (or just being your loveable contrarian self).

Aside from the flying open with the glove, this kid’s arm and lower body action is quite similar to Greg Maddux’s at the age of 19.

Now, if you want to dis Greg Maddux that’s fine.

But I wouldn’t.

ECourt,

Here is a link to a breakdown of the clip that I’m referring to.

Aside from the flying open with the glove that I noted, and the head stability stuff that Roger touched on, your son is doing just fine.

In fact, your son’s lower body action is quite sophisticated for his age.

I WOULD NOT MESS WITH HIM.

we had a scrimage last night, and he pitched one inning, the second inning.

16 pitches, with nothing more than a few inches out of the strike zone.
faced 4 batters 2 strike outs, their lead-off hitter got on with a grounder to 3rd, and another strike out.

We’ve practiced a couple times, with having him concentrate on the glove coming back to his peck. I think that has really helped the one in 4-5 wild pitches thats 2 feet out of the strike zone that we had issues with last year.

My thought on him not coming up and over is, it’s leg strength, and at 10, I’m not going to start him doing leg-squats just yet. as he grows, we’ll see if he comes out of it naturally, and after seeing the Greg Maddux frame by frame, I’m not going to change it unless there are problems. Maddux has been pitching for 21 years like that, so I’m not too woried about injuries.

he’s not a big kid, only about 60 pounds, and speed is not an issue, he throws harder than a lot of his peers now. the control was the only issue (and of course to make sure he’s not setting up to injure himself) , and I think we are on the right track for that.
I’ll give him a couple more weeks to focus on the glove, and we’ll move on to the head tilt. I watched last night, and he is doing that some.

Thanks for your help guys, I’ll try to post a new video in a week or 2
sorry for such a long-winded post.

i think your stride to the plate is really good but i caught two things you should work on. one is that i seen you fling your glove out to the catcher thats not exactly a good thing try to keep you glove tucked in and point your elbow to the plate instead of the glove .

the other thing i caught is that you released your ball from your glove way to early and that could lead to stress of the arm or control problems

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye on that too…

[quote=“Luv2FishKC”]i think your stride to the plate is really good but i caught two things you should work on. one is that i seen you fling your glove out to the catcher thats not exactly a good thing try to keep you glove tucked in and point your elbow to the plate instead of the glove .

[/quote]

After thinking abou this one, someone might have to explain why this is bad. From years of karate, the push-pull motion is one of the best ways to generate force. that would be hard to do from elbow alone. Also most of the stuff I’ve read and see is that if they like to point the glove, it’s fine, just make sure they are pulling the glove back, instewad of slinging it.

[quote=“ecourt”]…most of the stuff I’ve read and see is that if they like to point the glove, it’s fine, just make sure they are pulling the glove back, instewad of slinging it.[/quote]I’ll beat this drum a bit more. When do they say you should point the glove and for how long? Also, check out the videos of the pros in the video library portion of this site. Then tell me how many “point the glove”. They don’t. Chris likes to advise of this but I disagree. Video of pros does not support this piece of advice. My advice is for you to study all of those video clips for this issue. Pointing the glove just has no empirical support.