10 year old mechanics comments please

Give us the good and bad please.

Given his age he’s solid (if not somewhat advanced).

As long as he isn’t having any problems, I wouldn’t mess with him.

Given his age he’s solid (if not somewhat advanced).

As long as he isn’t having any problems, I wouldn’t mess with him.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply,

The only trouble he seems to be having is i guess called coming around the ball or not staying on top of it. He has a tendency to when he misses to throw inside to a RH hitter, sometimes hitting them.

Tonight at practice he pitched an inning, hit 2 batters in the feet and struk out the other 3.

I might suggest the following adjustments:

(1) Minimize the size of the initial rocker step to the side. That creates too much movement in the wrong direction.

(2) Increase the tempo of his stride. Striding faster will stretch out the length of his stride a bit and let him put a little more zip on the ball.

(3) Have him try to keep his head upright through release.

I’d recommend having him work on only one of these at a time.

[quote=“Roger”]I might suggest the following adjustments:

(1) Minimize the size of the initial rocker step to the side. That creates too much movement in the wrong direction.

(2) Increase the temp of his stride. Striding faster will stretch out the length of his stride a bit and let him put a little more zip on the ball.

(3) Have him try to keep his head upright through release.

I’d recommend having him work on only one of these at a time.[/quote]

Thank Roger,
I didnt notice his head tilting until you mentioned it. Could this be part of the cause of him missing inside? I guess his head pulls that way and his arm would follow.

If, by “inside” you mean inside to righties, then yes - his head movement could certainly cause him to miss to that side.

Yes I do mean inside to RH hitters.

We have worked on this the past couple of nights. When he throws 50-75% he does a decent job of keeping his head up, but as soon has he tries to throw harder it comes back.

With any change it is going to take him some practice I guess.

Sounds like he’s trying to use his head to pull the shoulders around. Lots of young kids do that. He needs to understand that it’s the lower body rotating before the shoulders that pull the shoulders around - not the head. A good stride with momentum and good hip rotation ahead of shoulder rotation is what he should be after (along with all the other things like good posture and balance, equal and opposite arms, etc. as well as proper timing).

you make it sound so simple

Thanks for the help I really do appreciate it, we will do some work on this and post another video.

Thanks again

Overall I think he controls his body pretty well…I would like to see a video of him throwing, say from the outfield ( crow hop and all ) to get a better idea of his arm action. Also, if you feel balance is a possible issue ( tho I really didnt see it in the video ) shorten up the movement and have him experiment from the stretch.