10 Year Old Hitting Advice

Hello----just looking for some hitting advice for my 10 yr. old, let me know if you see anything. The clip is attached below.

Also, any opinions on using the hands back hitter training device. I’ve been told he’s too old to still be using it and causes him to stride, pause, swing, rather than one fluid motion. Also causes him to swing at hight pitches…all thoughts welcome! Thanks!

You are correct that it makes him step, pause, then swing. I think that could throw off his swing a little bit because you want him to step when the ball is in the air and then twist the hips while throwing his hands at the ball. If it becomes one fluid motion, his swing looks good. If you have video of him hitting off live pitching or something other than that machine, it will be easier to tell if something is wrong.

you want seperation in your swing,when you see a breaking pitch if your hands and weight are not back you are going to have all of your weight on your front side,you don’t want to lunge at the ball.

gotcha…only thing is in his travel league they didn’t allow curve balls yet, but you make a good point for next season on the 11 yr. old level

Overall, a decent swing. I like how his front foot opens and he appears to keep his weight back or at least centered. He needs to finish his swing…he stops about 3/4 of the way around.

Don’t teach him to throw his hands at the ball! This will cause him to cast his hands and lose power;rather he should keep his hands inside the ball i.e., his hands should between his body and the ball…that’s were the leverage is!

[quote=“Papibon”] He needs to finish his swing…he stops about 3/4 of the way around.

Yeah, he just started doing that, it’s odd how kids just pick up bad habits out of the blue. I guess it’s up to us to correct it.
Thanks

jbell:

Yeah, he just started doing that, it’s odd how kids just pick up bad habits out of the blue. I guess it’s up to us to correct it.

Papibon:

I wouldn’t be too concerned as he is just 10 years old. I have a 10 year old who also bats left handed and he decided that if teams were going to play him to pull he was going to hit the other way and he did very successfully. Unfortunately, he had closed his stance to the extreme! I have all winter to get him back so he can hit an inside pitch. :wink: